GreaseSpot Cafe

2 Timothy 2:15

cman

Posted this in another thread, but I think it should go here. Added a phrase or two.

In vp/pfal/twi doctrine-

Probably one of the most abused verse is the one on 'rightly dividing' the Word of Truth.

It has nothing to do with how it's presented in pfal and in practical twi living as it was used.

It was used to shut off any other considerations and possibilities that are here and now.

Trapping us within the walls of pfal/twi and the will of vpw.

Another thing is one has to have the Word of Truth to rightly divide it.

It's a giving thing I think.

It's not rightly dividing in order to get the Word of Truth.

(which is the main problem with pfal and that verse)

According to that verse 2 Timothy 2:15.

Shoot, the context makes it even clearer that it's not a tool to get it.

But something we are to do with it, having it.

2 Timothy 2:11It is a faithful saying: For if we be dead with him, we shall also live with him: 12If we suffer, we shall also reign with him: if we deny him, he also will deny us: 13If we believe not, yet he abideth faithful: he cannot deny himself.

14Of these things put them in remembrance, charging them before the Lord that they strive not about words to no profit, but to the subverting of the hearers. 15Study to shew thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth. 16But shun profane and vain babblings: for they will increase unto more ungodliness.

When I left TWI I spent a great deal of time studying this verse because I wanted to understand what I thought I was supposed to do. I could give you what I call my "expanded literal" but there really isn't a need to. It boils down to "Word of truth" = the heart behind the truth of the word written or spoken.

We spent a lot of time counting the number crosses and time spent on the cross and forgot the heart of the matter, Jesus went to the cross and died for sins. I'm not saying it is good or bad to to know these things. But if we study these and forget, or never the learn the reason behind them we have not "rightly divided" the word of truth.