GreaseSpot Cafe

converting numbers to alpha numeric numbers

Kit Sober

• 4 weeks later...
Thanks.

I need this at work, and cannot download programs there.

(I was hoping there was a way I could just change the "cell format" -- similarly to being able to change date format from mm/dd/yy to mmmm dd, yyyy.)

Thanks, again for your time.

I typed a response BEFORE I carefully read your question. :)

I have a VB module that I created for an access program that will do it. You might need to adapt it a little to work with Excel though. The program I wrote it for prints checks.

Do you know how to utilize VB modules in Excel? If not, I will try to make a little time and adapt it for you. Let me know.

Rick

Edited by Bluzeman

use the text formula

=text(value to be converted,text formatting to be used)

A B C
1 1 =text(a1,0) returns the value of cell a1 as the ascii (text) for the number 1 (i.e., ascii 49)

Then if you need to get rid of the formula, just copy the resultant cells and "paste special" the values only.

If you need to do more than one cell, just make sure to not use absolute cell references and drag/copy&paste, etc., as required.

Edited by markomalley

So will that print the words for the numbers? In other words, will it convert say, 123.52 to the string "One Hundred Twenty-Three Dollars and Fifty-Two Cents?" Or something like that? If so, it's a heck of a lot easier to do in Excel than in VB. :)

And Jim, I just looked at your link. The logic there looks very similar to what I wrote on my own. I wish I had looked that up, I could have copied and pasted and saved myself a couple hours worth of work. :biglaugh:

Rick

Edited by Bluzeman

So will that print the words for the numbers? In other words, will it convert say, 123.52 to the string "One Hundred Twenty-Three Dollars and Fifty-Two Cents?" Or something like that? If so, it's a heck of a lot easier to do in Excel than in VB. :)

And Jim, I just looked at your link. The logic there looks very similar to what I wrote on my own. I wish I had looked that up, I could have copied and pasted and saved myself a couple hours worth of work. :biglaugh:

Rick

I guess it would help if I read the request. No, that would just change to a character format. But it should still be possible to do it with a user defined function that could be put into normal.xls.

In fact, there is: see http://support.microsoft.com/kb/213360

Sorry for the confusion.