GreaseSpot Cafe

Apparently a Magazine Scam

Dot Matrix

On January 3rd I got a book in the mail from Prevent1on magazine stating I requested it.

I NEVER requested a book from R0d@le Press. It also said that I had been subscribing to PREVENT!ON magazine, which I did not ask to receive, nor did I sign anything, nor was I sent it as a gift.

I tried to return the book but there was NO prepaid label, no phone number no way to return it. There was a letter telling me I had 21 days to enjoy it and they would remind me that I had to return it or pay for it later on.

This letter was signed by Chr1s Cunningh@m Managing Editor R0d@le books.

The address provided was Emmaus, PA

I had to call information and got a phone number, which was a series of buttons to push and no people to answer the phone.

FINALLY, I got a guy named C@rols operator #xxxx to answer the phone and told him I did NOT order the magazine, nor did I want this book. He told me it was sent as a “non-response” promotion. They sent out letters offering the magazine and the book and if I did not tell them “no” then they took it as a “yes”. They said it was my responsibility to respond by saying “no.”

Fortunately, after working in law offices we knew there was a law against that practice years ago, when that scam was used against the elderly. We told C@rlos we would not be paying and it was illegal and we would be reporting them.

We then looked it up on line and this scam is being run with Prevent1on m@gazine by a collection agency who then sent me a letter on January 5th (A Saturday) informing me I had until the 9th to pay for Prevent1on m@gazine or they would send me to collections. They wanted me to call with my Credit card number. (I do not know if they are aware of it or they are being used)

This letter was also sent out by Chr1s Cunningh@m, but this time his title is “Customer Service Manager”, and he wants me to pay on line at www.PREVENT1ON.com

If you do a quick search you will see under “Prevent1on” they are apparently aligned with a collection agency and are doing this all over the country.

“Prevent10n Magazine And North Shore @gency Negative billing scam”

is one title on the net

If Prevent10n M@g@zine has resorted to such tactics it is a crying shame as it used to be reputable and worth reading.

I have reported them

I post this to beware

Edited by Dot Matrix

I had this happen to me a few years ago with a different national magazine. I didn't even bother acknowledging that I received it. I just pitched it in the trash. They would have to produce something with my signature to prove that I had requested it if I was going to bother with them. Why should I waste my time? They called me once, I told them I hadn't ordered anything and didn't get anything. Never heard from them again.

If you didn't sign for it, they have no proof you ever received it.

That's why it costs extra to require the recipient to sign for delivery.

Not only do you have no obligation to pay for it, you have no obligation to return it.

So, if you receive a carton of paisley widgets that you did not order or sign for, you can consider yourself the proud owner of a carton of paisley widgets.

I got this info from someone who spent most of his working years as an employee of the Postal Service.

Of course, there may be some loophole somewhere so it would be a good idea to contact the postal authorities to verify this information.

ps---The postal authorities do NOT look favorably on people using the mail to defraud the innocent.

They are usually very receptive to hearing your concerns.