GreaseSpot Cafe

Lunar eclipse tonight

rhino

You can howl at the moon. You can believe in all sorts of full-moon folklore -- from the advent of werewolves to a corruption of the tides.

But if you want to see the full moon aglow in a dramatic range of colors -- a shift that could be anything from bright orange to blood red to dark brown or dark gray -- then look out your window starting at 8:43 p.m. Wednesday.

Gorgeous, just gorgeous. I was out having dinner with some friends when the restaurant owner came by to let us know that the ecplipse had started. We had a perfect view of it right outside the window beside us, and for once the sky was crystal clear and cloudless. We watched it go from a full, bright ball with a small shadow, to a faintly glowing white ball, to pale yellow, to pale orange as we were leaving.

By the time I got home the moon was glowing almost red, with faint silvery blotches. I stayed out as long as I could stand the cold. I think it was the best view of a total lunar eclipse I've ever seen.

The spectacular sight was lost on my two pooches, but they were happy that I was actually standing outside with them on this frigid night. Cleveland Brown, my son's gentle giant of a dog, was so pleased that he brought me a nice, big frozen-solid pile of doggie doo and dropped it at my feet in hopes that I'd toss it for him to fetch. I passed, thankyouverymuch. At least it wasn't a frozen dead critter.

Ah, nature.

Edited by Linda Z

Duluth is a city built on a hill. At the bottom lies Lake Superior, and the hill rises dramatically (about) 1,000 feet above the Lake quite quickly. If you're at the bottom of the hill (by the Lake), and travel (about) 15 blocks UP the hill, you're at the top with it's MUCH higher elevation. Anyhoo -- there's a big church up at the top, with a big parking lot that has an incredible view over the Lake. You can sit in the parking lot and see 30 miles over Lake Superior way over into Wisconsin. I go there frequently to watch a full moon, or the Northern Lights when they are out in the sky. But I'm rambling here.

We had a perfectly clear sky yesterday evening, so viewing conditions were perfect. My workplace is *up over the hill*, and I live *down the hill*, and this church is about half way in between. I got off work last night around 7:30 pm, so on the way home I stopped at the church parking lot to watch the eclipse. Awesome sight!!! Last night Lake Superior was half ice and half open water --- with the moon's reflection shining over both brilliantly. Then once the eclipse started it got really dark because both the moon and the reflection of it over the Lake diminished in direct proportion to the totality of the eclipse.

We had (about) 8 degrees below zero weather so I stayed inside the car to watch, with the heater running! Quite a few other cars were there besides my own with folks watching the celestial *treats* free for the viewing. By the time the moon started to regain it's normal whiteness and brilliancy of a full moon again -- it had risen too high in the sky to be reflected by the Lake again, but overall it was a fine time to be alive and looking skyward.

:eusa_clap::dance::eusa_clap:

(edited to add: Geo ~~~

It was the Coppertop church, but I figure you might've guessed that already!) ;)

Edited by dmiller