GreaseSpot Cafe

Pesky storms

Ron G.

Last night, I was talking to a friend on the telephone and a storm came up and the lightning got rather sharp, and we could hear the clicking of the static over the phone, so I decided to get off.

Sho' nuff, a few minutes later, Andrew and I were bounced around the house by a loud BOOM which was lightning hitting my chimney.

I now have a dead computer and I'm posting this from the library. I just left Radio Shack with my new telephone.

Andrew's TV is fried.

A buddy is sposed to bring a new tower for me tonight, so I may be back online again soon.

I heard lightning never strikes twice, so we're safe now.

Last night, I was talking to a friend on the telephone and a storm came up and the lightning got rather sharp, and we could hear the clicking of the static over the phone, so I decided to get off.

Sho' nuff, a few minutes later, Andrew and I were bounced around the house by a loud BOOM which was lightning hitting my chimney.

I now have a dead computer and I'm posting this from the library. I just left Radio Shack with my new telephone.

Andrew's TV is fried.

A buddy is sposed to bring a new tower for me tonight, so I may be back online again soon.

once in western maryland i saw lightening blow a metal cross right off a steeple next door to where i was.

Don't count on it. I've heard a couple people claim they got hit again, within a year of the first strike.

If it's a high enough metal object, like a vertical antenna, you can see the pits where it has been repeatedly struck. If it's a fancy fiberglass antenna, a strike almost vaporizes it, leaves bits and pieces of it strewn on the roof.

they make special surge and lightning protection gear that absolutely guarantees no damage to your equipment, but it often costs five times what it is protecting.

:)

http://science.nationalgeographic.com/scie...ng-profile.html

• 2 weeks later...

Dunno about lightening but our area seems to be attracting a lot of tornado's lately. One struck south of here a month or so ago, another a few miles north two weeks ago and a third last week south of here again. One of our local residents took a ride inside a funnel cloud during the second spate of storms and has quite the story to tell (yes she did survive), judging from the damage I saw we dodged a major bullet, two injured, scores of homes destroyed but no deaths.