GreaseSpot Cafe

Happy Birthday Peace!

HAPe4me

<H4 class=headlines id=13>Peace Sign Turns 50</H4>And finally, the peace sign turns fifty years old today. Over the past five decades the peace sign has become one of the world's enduring icons. The original peace sign was developed in 1958 by a British textile designer and conscientious objector named Gerald Holtom. He created the symbol by combining the semaphore letters N and D, for nuclear disarmament. On Feb. 21, 1958 the symbol was accepted by the Direct Action Committee Against Nuclear War. The symbol soon began to be used in anti-nuclear protests across Britain and then spread across the globe.

Congratulations! You have been a good friend through many a horrendous time.

~HAP

004bigcndsy.gif

Edited by HAPe4me

thanks hap, for reminding us of this "old friend"................i just could not resist posting on this thread!!..........it was my dad who first introduced me to this "peace sign", when i was just 8 years old, on new year's eve, 1959 turning to 1960..........he was an ardent pacifist, totally committed to nuclear disarmament, before i ever thought about being a "hippie", later in the sixties!!!..........he only ever had one credit card in his entire life, (he felt that credit cards were just the banking industry's "gimmick" to legitimize usury), which he did'nt get until 1968, when the group called "physicians against nuclear proliferation" sent him an application for their visa card, and he felt that if he was going to have to pay for a credit card, (they all charged "annual fees" back then), he might as well support a group which more closely matched his "conscientious objection" to nuclear war than the banks themselves did!.........anyway,.......on that new year's eve of 1959-60, he first showed me a picture of the new "peace sign"..........and let me "help him" tape it to the little bulletin board he had above his desk, in his little office in the back of our house in nyc.......it stayed on that bulletin board until i packed up that office in the fall of 1995, after he died, in order to sell that house i grew up in!.........almost 35 years!..........that little sign has always had big meaning and memories for me!..................thanks again for this thread hap!..................................PEACE.

rps6111c_125.gifaph2_125.gifnan001_125.gifb9964_125.gifb2495_125.gifkkkk3181_125.gifaad160_125.gifpmb014_125.gifb2134_125.gif kk511_125.gif