GreaseSpot Cafe

Mike Debruler, Julias Brogden, Tom Settle

jeast

Hey there jeast.

Mike split the Bloomington area to go and marry a Mormon gal out east (Pennsylvania, if I recollect correct), but I'm not 100% sure about the location. I don't remember the other two names, so I can't help you there. These 35 years later -- I'm kinda *fuzzy* on some of the names -- but I do remember Mike and his *sudden* departure from our area back then. He was (to my knowledge) never heard from again by those of us who used to comprise his fellowship.

David

Thanks Dave,

Mike was in Bedford just a short while and I remember him as kind of quiet, He made a big impression on me and I hope all is well with him.

Tom Settle also set up fellowship in Bedford and stayed at our house for a few days. I still have that old open back banjo that he gave me and one of my grandsons is now learning to play it.

Julias Brogden was from I believe South Carolina. When he went back he borrowed my truck to move his stuff.

All of the guys are good people and a piece of me will always be with them.

Joe

Tom Settle also set up fellowship in Bedford and stayed at our house for a few days. I still have that old open back banjo that he gave me and one of my grandsons is now learning to play it.

Joe

Hey there Joe --- I shouldn't be surprised about the grand-kid aspect, but ---

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D

I remember Cody and Jody when they were knee high to a grasshopper!

Then there was that time you played a tape of you all picking *Peaceful Easy Feeling*

for me (last time I was at your place), with the extra verse or two that I wrote for it.

Those were the days. I didn't remember that Mike was in Bedford.

Like I said -- his departure was both sudden and quite abrupt, and caused quite a stir.

I do remember (at least) one of the ladies in the Bloomington twig saying that ---

that she would marry him in a heartbeat -- to keep him in *fellowship* with twi.

Departure from twi wasn't really an acceptable thing -- back in those days.

I guess Mike had a *head's up* on the rest of us -- not sure.

I do know -- that all of us (myself included), thought the *problem* was with him -- and not twi.

Our wake-up call came later than his did. Sadly.

Edited by dmiller

fiddlepicker,

You are welcome to stop in anytime. The boys are 35 yrs old now and we are still singing that song.

I've got a good friend who (in my subjective opinion) does an excellent job on the dobro.

There are quite a few good bluegrass musicians in the Lawrence County area.

There is a place just down the road about 15 miles that holds two annual bluegrass festivals and has weekly jam sessions.

They have a web site if you want to check it out. Just Google Little Grantville

Concerning Mike DeBruler,

I knew he was going through some tough times.

Like you said, He left quite abruptly.

It would be great if I could introduce you to the rest of the family.

You are welcome to play my banjo anytime you want to.

I know a J.B. Brogden ... not sure if Julius is his first name or not. I believe he still lives in Winston-Salem, NC....try a White Pages search there ... if you are not successful, send me a private message and I can give you the last e-mail address I have for him. I know he is not in TWI any more.

I know a J.B. Brogden ... not sure if Julius is his first name or not. I believe he still lives in Winston-Salem, NC....try a White Pages search there ... if you are not successful, send me a private message and I can give you the last e-mail address I have for him. I know he is not in TWI any more.

I bet it is the same one because J.B. is what he went by when he was in Bedford.

You might touch base with him to be sure he wants to let me contact him.

Great guy, Ask him if he remembers Joe, Paula and Rhonda from Bedford.

Be sure and tell him we are not in the Way anymore either.

Thanks

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...