GreaseSpot Cafe

Tax software ...

rhino

I was about to buy my Turbo Tax software as usual, but found this year they have all these different levels ... so if you have a business or investments, it costs like double, and I think state maybe be another $30. It seems TaxCut has gone along with the same scheme.

There is TaxACT Online .. which is free, and like $14 for the state. But I'm not sure if they do the interview like TurboTax does. Taxcut seems about the same as TurboTax but a little cheaper.

I just need to file the extension for now, but with a couple returns to file, and some business stuff, I'm thinking I might just pay an accountant.

Have any of you with your own business (or anyone) bought these? Or do you just hire your taxes done?

Hi rhino,

Yeah, I was not amused that TurboTax didn't email its prior users and let us know ahead of time. It cost me $40 to file a straight-up return. I may reconsider that next year, but I was in a hurry this time. I filed state separately, because my state has its own free e-file.

It seemed like this year, the usual Deluxe that was always about $40, would not handle investment or some business things like before. I'm depreciating a bunch of stuff, and it was always nice that TurboTax just remembered all those details from the previous year.

I'll probably upgrade to the Home and Business ... I'd hate to have to re-enter all that stuff manually, though Tax-cut seems good and is much cheaper. Maybe the basic Deluxe would still do it, but it didn't look like it. Maybe it is just a sales tactic, but I'd hate to have to buy them both. Oh well ...

Anyway ... thanks for the input ... Hap and Lucy and Shaz ...

woohoo! I got done with daylight left! Highly unusual for me ever since I stopped needing the info for the FAFSA forms when the kids were in college.

I went again with Turbotax this year, although in the past I swore I would try something different. MY reason for thinking about a change was that I felt their interview left much to be desired and left me feeling less than confident that I had stuff right. I stayed with it this time simply because I was pressed for time and have used their layout for 8 years so I did not want to need a learning curve with something new.

THAT SAID..... I was extremely happy with this year's program and felt they vastly improved the navigation through their program. The interview left me feeling as confident as one could be, and there seemed to be an ease to going through it and being able to get more complete answers this year to questions that develop when you have changing tax situations as I have had with buying and selling some realestate and closing my mother's estate. So I will return next year to Turbotax.

I expect however that what governs the value of any tax program to a particular person is how it works with their particular scenario, so all I can say is this one worked for me and another might be better for someone else.

ANYWAY-------who has the wine to celebrate the deadline being met? Hope you all are well.

~HAP