GreaseSpot Cafe

imagine that

shiftthis

up until about two years ago i had always told all my friends i didnt need a computer , had absolutly no use for one , then went looking for a real cheap new computer , bought a compaq for $399 got a 100 dollar rebate ,used it for a year ,than decided i wanted a faster one with more stuff, looked around, didint find what i wanted, i am an electrician, have my own pa for my band, build hot rod cars, got to thinking(ouch my head) , reasearched different computer components on the web to find out what was right for me ,went to frys electronics store (why would someone name an electronics store frys ??!!! thats like that company named fried that makes speakers. do you sell fried speakers????!!!! fried electronics!!!) got some stuff and build this super fast computer. than built a duplicate, than built a smaller one, none of them are fried yet, imagine that !!!!

Fry's Electronics is named after the owner, last name of Fry. :) The chain is in the western states only as far as I know. For those that haven't heard of it, Fry's is the WalMart for computer geeks. You can find just about anything you want there at their b and m stores as well as their online stores at www.outpost.com and www.frys.com which both have some great deals. I bought my RAM from outpost.com when I built my computer this past month, but the rest of the components I bought from other online companies to get more savings.

You said you built a fast computer, but gave no stats. For the geeks of the cafe, can you give us an idea what sort of system you are running? Thanks. I've been building my own and maintaining a home network for 10 years now and would never consider a store bought box.

I'm running this:

Asus M2A-VM motherboard

AMD 3 gHz dual core CPU

2 gig DDR2 800 mHz RAM

500 gig SATA hard drive

Radeon 3870 512 mb PCI express x16 video card

Logitech G51 Surround Sound 5.1 Sound System

Encore TV Tuner and FM radio PCI Adapter card with Remote

Area 51 Wide (Alien) case with many added blue LCD lights

USB toys from 2 USB hubs:

A red and white refrigerator which has room for one can of soda so it never gets warm as I drink it

AAA and AA battery charger

USB or Battery operated Thermometer (point, click, get temp of what you aim it at)

Cyber Snipa game pad

Wolf King laser gaming mouse (yes WordWolf, I think of you when I see the name on the back of my mouse LOL)

Glass monitor stand that has 4 more USB ports, switches for printer, monitor, computer, aux and master switch with a drawer that can be removed and replaced with anything that would fit in a 5.25" drive bay, but I chose to keep the drawer in use

A finger mouse so I can sit back and cruise web sites without having my arm stuck out for hours to my regular mouse

(Not USB but ...) A drink holder/cigarette lighter (same as in a car) combo that is in the bay directly under my DVD player, so it looks like I just put my Pepsi can in there instead of a disk. Guaranteed laughs to any geek visiting you who hasn't seen one of them yet.

I jumped on coolerguys.com to check the spelling as I write this and see they have a few things on sale right now that I want, so I must go deplete my bank account at this time. Hehe. I LOVE their pctoys and coolerguys sites and have gotten so many cool computer parts and toys from them. (When a company starts tossing in free gifts to your orders, you know you buy too much from them! Bwhahaha.)

There you have my geek welcome to the cafe. After 15 years online, it's the only way I know anymore. Heh, TWI said the internet or them .. it's obvious which I picked. :) Hope to read what you have in your box soon!