GreaseSpot Cafe

What does superstition really cost?

George Aar

I'm not sure I'd call it well documented ... it just has one or two sentences on individuals that had bad things happen to them. You could come up with many "real medical doctors" that had killed their patients in various ways as well.

Here's a neat website for those convinced of the veracity of acupuncture, herbal remedies, "faith" healing and such like.

This documents a little of the REAL cost of believing in woo-woo:

http://whatstheharm.net/

Here is some of the well-documented evidence:

baby boy & baby girl Still

Germantown, Pennsylvania

Died

February 1989

Religion (Faith Tabernacle)

So what did they die of? Who knows? But by God, the parents went to church! Hang 'em high Clint!

Many others just like that one, very sketchy in documentation. Names repeated or each child's name got their own "box" i.e. when first a woman died of snake handling in their

Kentucky church and left five children and three years later the Father died too, then each child was given a "box" to say that they were orphaned. Puhleez!

Many of these show no direct correlation between the adherants beliefs and the calamity they supposedly suffered.

It also conveniently omits such superstitions as the laughable 'sensible gun control/registration will make you safer/reduce crime' myth, the global warming religion, government sponsored 'universal health care' and the ever fatal notion that governemt bureaucrats know what's best for raising and educating children.

Well, before you trash it completely,

I suggest you read through the FAQ section. This is a one-man operation it appears. And yes, it's not the most scholarly expose ever done. Just has some seldom reported facts.

Yes, I'm sure he could do better...

Not knocking you personally, George....just in some ways, it looks like someone is trying to fill up a web page site. While I will admit...there are quacks out there that you have to be very careful around....such as someone telling you that you really don't need to seek medical help with a lump on your breast....oh, here...drink some ginseng....I hear it heals cancer of the breast. There are limitations and prudent common sense should prevail. I use natural medicines and I also pray over the things that are wrong in my body....but if some ailment that I'm experiencing doesn't cease and desist within a natural frame of time, it's off to the doctor that I go. Many ailments will heal all by themselves....why? because that's the way our wonderful God made it....that our body should heal itself....but if it doesn't....then by all means seek medical help.

Many of these show no direct correlation between the adherants beliefs and the calamity they supposedly suffered.

It also conveniently omits such superstitions as the laughable 'sensible gun control/registration will make you safer/reduce crime' myth, the global warming religion, government sponsored 'universal health care' and the ever fatal notion that governemt bureaucrats know what's best for raising and educating children.

Yes....that was the first thing that I saw as well. They could have just simply had their number come up, if you know what I mean. I would hate to have my church blamed simply because it was my time to go. Yeah... she went to "XYZ Church....we've heard of THAT church. People go there and THEY DIE!

Well, I don't know about anyone else here, but it's a sure bet if the LORD JESUS CHRIST doesn't return before it my turn to clock out of the factory....I'M GONNA DIE!

HAVE A GREAT DAY! :blink:

P.S. Don't EVEN get me started on government child raising....I guarantee you that my flame thrower is hot and sizzling on that topic!

Thanks George this site looks like it has allot of potential. As some have pointed out there's not much in the way of detailed information. However I think I have the gist of the site, it's intended to raise questions about these things not answer them. The question can be more powerful then the answer sometimes.

Seth

...there are quacks out there that you have to be very careful around....such as someone telling you that you really don't need to seek medical help with a lump on your breast....oh, here...drink some ginseng....I hear it heals cancer of the breast.

....but if it doesn't....then by all means seek medical help.

It was only maybe a century ago that it actually became a good idea to go to a doctor. Now they are pretty good, but can be so busy that they miss things ... or they push expensive pills, which may help a little but degrade your life because of the expense. and they don't always know the side effects of all those pills. But some things have to be taken care of ... catch those cancers early and life usually goes on a long time.

Eat drink and be merry ... but exercise and eat right ... and enjoy life and don't join a cult ... keep thinking for yourself.

Edited by rhino

Thanks George this site looks like it has allot of potential. As some have pointed out there's not much in the way of detailed information. However I think I have the gist of the site, it's intended to raise questions about these things not answer them. The question can be more powerful then the answer sometimes.

Seth

Personally.....I'd like to have both!