GreaseSpot Cafe

PFAL

OneWhoIsFree

i agree, t-bone and oakspear...

vpw's style of chopping and hacking the scripture into pieces is a very dishonest and misleading approach... he just wanted to put the stamp of prophetic authority on his own opinion!

vpw, isolated a word, put his OWN spin on it, and then reintroduced it into the whole scripture... thereby, weaving his own private interpretation throughout all of the bible... (just 2 examples: "believing" & "holy spirit"... and later with lcm: "household", mark & avoid", etc.)

[no wonder so many people have been turned off to the bible via twi]

i have been learning about "midrash"...

and i think that "midrash" is a FAR better (and MORE honest) approach to interpreting scripture than anything twi had to offer...

peace,

jen-o

Edited by jen-o

After I left the Way and got online with a computer, for some reason I felt I must post a website about "speaking in tongues", it appears to be built on PFAL but it doesnt really teach the heresies that PFAL taught...http://speakingintongues.faithweb.com/

Lemme know what ya think either here or in a PM to me

Edited by Steveo

The 'gifts' vs. 'manifestations' argument - here's a couple of points:

1) Gifts of healing is taught as a gift - each individual occurance of operating that manifestation is a gift. So at least for one of the 9, no dice in stating it's not a gift.

2) Christians mostly refer to 'gifts' as particular talents that Christians develop when walking in the spirit. So their usage of the word would more closely align with how TWI defines 'longsuits'. So what if it's a current usage, not a precise biblical usage? Except that they aren't as limiting on what constitutes a 'longsuit'. One could have a gift in painting, organizing, finances, almost unlimited the possibilities, and none of it focused on the mechanics of how God delivers them. TWI on the other hand - totally focused on the mechanics of the operation, and as such vastly limit the definition of 'longsuit'. How many of you in TWI for years ever figured out what your 'longsuit' is in the strict definition? Which one of the 9 are you best at operating? Do you know? If you're honest, probably not. Why? Because even in their definition of 'longsuit' a good deal of the latter part of I co 12 doesn't fit in. 'Longsuit' really isn't an accurate dividing of the word. It puts God in a box. God can energize people to develop great talent in many areas, and that's regardless of if they are completely aware of how precisely He energizes.

So making a huge distinction between BG Leonard and VPW RHST book - is a pharasaiac straining at a gnat and swallowing a camel. If we look at how most Christians talk about 'gifts' as a more modern current usage as opposed to religiously judging them on gift/manifestation - maybe we have a lot more in common with normal Christians than we think. Maybe it could free us up to develop some more things in our lives.

Edited by chockfull