GreaseSpot Cafe

Buying First Daughter's Car

Cindy!

This week we are buying one of our daughters (Kat) her first car and in two months, we are buying our other daughter (Jess) her first car.

We are looking to spend about $2000 per car.

(cash, no financing involved)

Kat wants a four door with a CD player (if possible)....she's favoring Nissan Altima, VW Beetle, Saturn, dodge intrepid-type-cars.

Jess wants a Saturn....but any two door coupe would do, although a 4 door is preferred.

If you or anyone you know has a good vehicle for sale in the chicagoland area.....please email me or Steve!

My email: chindy004@yahoo.com

Steve!: stevelwall99@yahoo.com

We thank you and our daughters thank you!!!

Beware....the road is about to become a whole new extreme sport for the rest of us!!!!!!!

(nah....they are very good drivers)

Edited by Cindy!

oh I thought you were buying Jenna Bush's car

Yeah....that's what we're doing....buying Jenna Hager's car.....yeah...and Morgan Fairchild is gonna deliver it to us....yeah....with some champagne and roses....yeah.....and a red carpet and an orchestra.....yeah.....that's the ticket.

I highly recommend an older Dodge Intrepid - pre 1998. The older models have the best engine that Dodge EVER made. Ours is going on 199,000 miles and we bought it with only 48,000 on it (it's a 1997 model with a 3.5L engine, 214hp - yeah, baby!). We've had ours for 8 years now! It's comfortable and has a lot of safety options. It's very safe in the snow and my preference of the three cars we have whenever there's bad weather and I have to drive. (I also have a 2005 Town & Country mini van and a 2007 Jeep Liberty).

If you get the 3.5L version, expect a great stereo system and lots of power options. Ours has power everything and a sunroof. It was the car we left in from our wedding and the car we've used to bring both sons home from the hospital in when they were born. We've had as many as four cars at any time and the Intrepid was always the favorite.

The real bonus of our Intrepid is that it has AutoStick - clutch-less automatic transmission. It allows me to slow down without touching the breaks in snow/ice. It has literally saved my life more than once in an intersection. I can come out of an intersection in second gear - more power - and not skid. I'm glad I've got it and plan on keeping it.

The only down side is that it doesn't get great gas mileage - city is about 17-19 mpg, while highway is about 26-27 mpg. It's better than the minivan or the Jeep...

In short, you should be able to get one for less than $2K and look for one that's already had a tranny replaced - that's the ONLY thing we've replaced in ours - we still have the original exhaust, engine, etc. - and it's not garaged (we're in New Hampshire - not kind weather up here.)

Have fun!

Edited by ChasUFarley

• 3 weeks later...

We *sort of* took your advice, Chas....we bought Kat a 1999 Intrepid, it was a steal at $1400!!! It's a great car, runs well, and she's already named it!!!!

It has a great cd and sound system, remote start, and power EVERYTHING!

Here's pix:

010102011608010301200806208e439de258b5df04b700af18.jpg

0115020116020103032008062055b1951ab383950c4a009595.jpg

Pix were taken at the house of the guy who sold us the car. He had two ADORABLE little boys, one of them took a shine to Kat.....he was about 4, white blond hair, bright blue eyes, and kept coming up to Kat and saying "Fas baw....wan see my fas baw???" The he'd throw the baseball and Kat would exclaim about it's speed. He was toooo cute!!!

Jess is next, she gets her first car in September!

Best thing is....no payments!!!!!

YAYYYY!!!!! :rolleyes:

Edited by Cindy!

Nice choice! I think you'll be pleased with your purchase - that's considered the Generation II version of the car. They were mostly made in Canada by Chrysler and we see a "Chrysler Intrepid" (no Dodge brand on it) every now and then. Generation I were manufactured from 1994-1997 and Generation II was 1997-2005, I think.

A couple of years ago, hubby wanted the R/T version of that car you bought for your daughter - it had something like 250hp and was bright red. (Can you say: "Speeding Ticket" ?)

The only bobble head involved is my future son in law's.....just kidding.

To be honest....we didn't BUY the cars ourselves......we told our kids a couple of years ago that we would match whatever they saved for a car.....so Kat paid $700 and we paid $700.....and we'll do the same with the other kids. They pay their insurance, tags, gas and upkeep, she already has the money saved for that....that she earned herself..