GreaseSpot Cafe

The Art Thread

doojable

Gustav Klimt - He was an amazing draftsman. (one who draws) Here's one of his favorite models (and most likely more) This was painted when he was very interested in decorative patterns

MyM-LAA-1171-750px-book-shop-online.jpg

And he did like the prostitutes (at least that's what the books say)

592px-Gustav_Klimt_021.jpg

Here are some other of his works:

GustavKlimtTwoGirlsWithAnOl.jpg

klimt97.jpg

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

And what are all those broads doing in my bass pond?

I for one would be glad to go in and find out their intentions..

speaking of scary women,I love the Klimt prints but whats with the guys head she is holding? It doesnt help that she looks somewhat like my exwife and the head looks like me when we were married. That was about my expression during my marriage as well...

I think he was painting his version of Salome (you know - the chick who wanted John the Baptist's head.)

The model for that painting was in several of his works.

"I think he was painting his version of Salome (you know - the chick who wanted John the Baptist's head.)"

That's what I thought at first too, but no, it's "Judith and the head of Holofernes"

Holofernes was a general in Nebuchadnezzar's army. Judith snuck into camp, seduced him, and in an - uh - distracted moment, managed to stick a sword in his throat (I've known a few women like that). She then brought his head back to the Israelite camp and they had a party. Gee, another heartwarming story from the pages of the O.T....

"I think he was painting his version of Salome (you know - the chick who wanted John the Baptist's head.)"

That's what I thought at first too, but no, it's "Judith and the head of Holofernes"

Holofernes was a general in Nebuchadnezzar's army. Judith snuck into camp, seduced him, and in an - uh - distracted moment, managed to stick a sword in his throat (I've known a few women like that). She then brought his head back to the Israelite camp and they had a party. Gee, another heartwarming story from the pages of the O.T....

Now now, you know someone's heart was warmed by it, they did after all have a party. :biglaugh:

I rather like that birch tree scene. Tho I must admit I am kind of looking for the horse or wolf or whatever to come out from the shadows, like those perspective paintings that are so popular. See if you can find all 10 wolves in the forest...

That one would look good on the bathroom wall. Kind of gives a person something to think about and ponder while they're waiting for mother nature to do her magic.

That one would look good on the bathroom wall. Kind of gives a person something to think about and ponder while they're waiting for mother nature to do her magic.

:biglaugh:

My roommate from college and I used to joke about what was a "bathroom painting" or a "sofa painting."

That is one of the one's I was looking at Dooj. Thanks.

I like it for it's color the painterliness of it. The trees and the leaves are treated in virtually the same way with the only difference being the color. I of course like the abstract nature of it. Kind of a running them with me I guess.

I like the way the grey of the trees almost falls into the vibrant colors of the leaves. Then it comes forward as a dark at the top of the trees.

I think that any artist that has a feel for seeing (and mastering the use of) negative space as well as the positive space will have a feel for the abstract.

I like the way the grey of the trees almost falls into the vibrant colors of the leaves. Then it comes forward as a dark at the top of the trees.

I think that any artist that has a feel for seeing (and mastering the use of) negative space as well as the positive space will have a feel for the abstract.

Yup! Exactly what a person needs on the bathroom wall...something to ponder in the positive and negative spaces.... :biglaugh:

No really its a nice piece, but not my favorite. I still like the lady in the boat and the shepherdress.

A note on art in the bathroom...

I'm not only an artist, I've also been a professional picture framer for over 20 years (somehow that job I got as a WOW paid off ;))

I never recommend putting any framed art in a bathroom that gets steamed up from the shower. Paper responds to humidity in a bad way, as does canvas.

Sofa paintings.... *sigh* don't get me started...

You know you're in trouble when a woman enters the shop with a print and a pillow and fabric samples. <_< :evilshades:

Love, love LOVE Bouguereau!

Here's a link and a sample of more of his work:

main_picture5.jpg

His images seem to almost be able to walk off the page.

I, too, love Bouguereau. Some friends I met on a bus tour in Europe turned me on to them. They (the friends) sent me a calendar one year with all Bouguereau prints. I agree with you doojable - they seem to be almost alive somehow. How did he do that??? Well, just one of the miriad of things that I don't understand about art.

How did he do that???

It wasn't the Law of Believing... :biglaugh:

There's so much to go into - drawing skills are first and foremost. Knowledge of anatomy and how light moves across a form.

Then add to it all the fact that these paintings are quite large. When you reduce a painting that is over 2' x 3' down to mere inches - it all gets tighter. If the values (the range of lights and darks) are accurate - then the painting will reduce properly.

OH - not to mention... these guys had talent.

sigh...

Edited by doojable

Well, part of how he did it has to do with color theory. Most people are familiar with complimentary colors (opposites on the color spectrum wheel) but color theory goes much further than that. Bringing this back to a modern era again : ) ... one person you can see color theory in stark, effective, simplicity is Joseph Albers. He was perhaps more of a scientist than an artist.

Figure28.jpg

In this painting the two X's are the same color (see where they connect -top center) but the effect of the "local colors" completely changes the look of the color. Similar tricks can make a color or object look like it is popping off the page. This is a fun part of art school in my opinion. It takes some time to figure out what colors you need to mix to make something look transparent or make areas recede and other areas protrude just by finding the right color... the right tone and shade.

Another way some painters made things "pop" was to actually build up the paint in highlighted areas so that certain parts of the painting were literally coming towards you... just on a small scale, but it was effective.

Edited by lindyhopper

Then there's the way an artist handles the edges of a subject. Look at enough paintings and you'll notice that the background isn't one color (or even one value) all the way around. If it is then the right color is used - like in the example that Lindy just posted.

There will be areas of high contrast and others with low contrast. This all works together to make a subject "jump off the page" as Lindy already noted.

Art can certainly take one's breath away.

More on edges:

Here is a self-portrait of Rembrandt as a young man:

Rembrandt.jpg

and one of Bouguereau as an older man:

Portrait_de_lartiste.jpg

And I'll include one more. John Singer Sargent's self-portrait - though it is a painted sketch:

sargent.jpg

And here is another portrait by Bouguereau:

Gabrielle_Cot_1890.jpg

Notice the classic light on one side of the face. On the light side the edges of the face are more defined while on the shadow side the edges blur and the values are much closer together.

In the Rembrandt there is a bit of light behind his hair - but it's on the dark side of his face.

All this attention to edges, the push/pull of light and dark - are what helps to make a form seem to come off the canvas.

Back to the painting of Psyche and Cupid -

Notice how they are united by the values they share. The background futher defines them but also unifies them. The background is swirling behind them - but they are "one."

Bouguereau used this technique a lot. If you peruse the link I posted a few posts back, you'll be able to see a LOT of his work. He tended to "ground" a figure with darks behind them and have the head and shoulders "emerge" so that they end up almost backlit.

The overall effect is that the figure is coming out of the shadows.

Here's a good example:

Fileuse.jpg

Edited by doojable

Hey Grumpy - I'm proud of you! You managed to not put "horns" behind anyone else in the picture!

:biglaugh: :biglaugh: :biglaugh:

We are cult creations too ya know, even if we are older, we have been around a few corners. We were made back in 1934 and first released as animated technicolor. Snowy was first seen in 1938, but her beauty is eternal. Story boards may be boring for you but for us it is our artistic life.

There is only "gaiety" in the traditional sense with us. Modern day cults live in another type of world. <_<

Grumpy I have some experience with animated art. As a picture framer I've had to frame some of the cells that were generated way back when. Framing these pieces of history was a conservation challenge, to say the least.

Years ago, they were rare. The cells weren't designed to last and from what I was told, the mylar (? not sure if that's the right substance) that the cells were painted on were washed off and re-used. Add to that, that many of the cells became brittle and deteriorated.

Now you can go to a Disney store (or World, or Land) and buy a "Limited Edition cell." These are fun - but not the same. I've even seen some artists' production sketches. Those are really neat and I prefer them as they are still original.

Anyway, some of Disney's early movies had some fantastic art and animation. Maybe someone with more knowledge than I have will post a bit on animation art.