GreaseSpot Cafe

The Art Thread

doojable

That's Diego Rivera! I really like his work!

30956_b.jpg

I must admit to also liking his wife Freida Kahlo's work as well.

18982-Frida_Kahlo_(self_portrait)-photo.jpg

...Though I don't think I could live with her work, I still enjoy looking at it. But there is a lot of her personal pain in her paintings.

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Sorry, it was the painting and what it evoked in me. After all, the picture is based on reporting a very nasty political situation about to get completely out of control.

No problem. I *think* Guernica was a reaction to what Picasso had read about and the photos he had seen. Apparently destruction like this had never been experienced before.

If that painting evokes strong emotions in you - then on some level Picasso succeeded in communicating his horror.

In a way that's why Rivera and Kahlo are good follow-up artists to look at - they too got their inspiration from the politics in their country.

You know, there really aren't any rules on this thread... anyone can go back and talk about any of the art or post something new.

Edited by doojable

I collect a lot of crap, most in storage or houses on 3 continents. Part of my African collection is about 50 antique masks sitting in storage which I probably won't visit for the next 200 years. I hope this file is viewable which shows just a few of them...

I collect a lot of crap, most in storage or houses on 3 continents. Part of my African collection is about 50 antique masks sitting in storage which I probably won't visit for the next 200 years. I hope this file is viewable which shows just a few of them...

Masks.zip

Those masks are pretty cool. They don't look comfortable - but they do look very sculptural.

I couldn't see the donkey mask - but the other's were quite nice.

Thanks.

damn I composed a long post concerning my thoughts about most of the things mentioned on this page and tried to tie in Geo's appreciation of the craftsmanship in the woodblock print to my appreciation of the craftsmanship in the 8th century Book Of Kells--complete with photos that I hunted down..

Took me about an hour but I lost the damn post---

:realmad:

maybe I'll post something later

Okay, given the discussion on other threads (THREE! count them 3!) I decided to post this painting by Michelangelo - The Holy Family with John the Baptist (the Dono Tondi)

mic15.jpg

This next link has an interesting description of the geometry behind the composition of this piece. Scroll down the page til you find the painting in question and run your cursor over the painting. It's kinda neat.

Here

Notice the naked men on the horizon? The horizontal line on the star runs right through their... ummm... pelvic areas should we say...? How weird must that have been?

This link also tries to explain the presence of a row of naked men on the horizon line:

The nude figures in the background represent pagan mankind before the coming of Christ, and the infant Saint John creates a link, as a symbol of baptism, between this old pagan world and the new Christian world.

But this seems like speculation to me. It's not like anyone interviewed Michelangelo and asked him why he did that. Remember, this was the Renaissance. The Church owned and paid for everything at that time and Michelangelo certainly found many a benefactor behind the Vatican's walls. I have found that very seldom are the interpreters of art even close when it comes to trying to explain symbolism in a work.

And is it just me or does Mary look like Rosie the Riveter in a gown? I mean, just look at her upper arms. This isn't the typical Virgin Mary of the Renaissance - or any age for that matter. In fact, Joseph doesn't look like the young man we read about. This is clearly a painting where Michelangelo painted what he wanted to paint and used a theme that was popular to frame it all.

Edited by doojable

I hate it when that happens mstar! Do long posts in Word or something first then post 'em. That way you dont lose 'em.

Bumpy, those masks are amazing! I just love the apparent similarites between African tribal masks and native American ones...all of the Americas. Its really amazing!

Gotta love that particular painting, dooj but seeing the star transposed over it is cool. Mary is obviously the focal point but Christ (who is in vitro) is in the little pyramid. Then you got the lines of the star, one going through the center of Mary and the other through the center of the men on the horizon. It makes you wonder what ole Mike was really thinking of when he painted this one. Could I live with it? You bet gotta love all that nakedness!

Edited by Eyesopen

The Chrysler Building is as cool as they come! Even the Empire State Building a block or so away can't compare.

Yeah, it's taller, but the Chrysler has serious style that the Empire State can't come close to matching.

And the best part is on the inside. I spent over an hour admiring the marble work in the lobby of the Chrysler B.

Then walk a couple of blocks more and check out the Grand Central Station. An unbelieveable gem.

But your picture Dooj. Yeah, Mary definitely looks a little "butch", doesn't she? I immediately took to her, though.

She has a very "real" sense about her, unlike so many other works about her. In fact, everybody looks a lot more real.

Well, except for the nudes in the background. They definitely seem to be from central casting...

Artist: William-Adolphe Bouguereau

Title: Pastourelle [shepherdess]

Year: 1889

Technique: Oil on canvas

Dimensions: 62 1/2 x 36 1/2 inches (159 x 93 cm)

Current location: The Philbrook Museum of Art

William-Adolphe_Bouguereau_(1825-1905)_-_The_Shepherdess_(1889).jpg

Edited by anotherDan

Wow Dan, that's nothing short of beautiful! It's so realistic and intriquit. (Did I spell that right?) Anyway this painting really could live in my house, it could work with the decor and if it wasnt too big I might have a wall for it. It gives me a sense of serenity and joy. I really like it.

Great link, Dooj.... I've favorited it so I can explore the whole thing. Eyes, the first time I saw "Shepherdess" I was stopped in my tracks. I bought the print the next day. I have since sold it, but I still wish I had it. Sometimes I feel that my appreciation of "traditional art" somehow reveals my unsophistication (though I like Impressionists, like Monet), but dang it, Bouguereau's "realism" appeals to me. Glad you enjoyed it. too.

"She's a heck of a lot prettier than Leia."

Yeah, I'll give you that, but what's with the skull on her desk there?

She's a black magic woman - that's a crystal ball in her hand.

Looks like a dangerous woman to cross paths with...

I've heard some say all women are dangerous... ;)

And what are all those broads doing in my bass pond?

You didn't know? They're the bass's girlfriends.

Sheesh, the fish are getting skittish...

Those water nymphs are scary gals.

Edited by doojable

Oh my goodness! The realism and the beauty of that realism is just breathtaking. I would love to have a print of any of them. I really like the shepperdess and the lady in the boat. What I wouldnt give to paint like that.