The Art Thread

doojable

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Okay, Doojable. I promise to be more dignified in your thread.

Here are some of my personal favorites of Henri Cartier-Bresson...

bressonmatisse.jpg

Henri Matisse 1944

This portrait of the great painter shows his personal environment and displays his personality as a formal portrait couldn't.

bressontaxidrivers.jpg

Taxi Drivers in Berlin, 1932

bressongestapo.jpg

Gestapo Infomer, Dessau, Germany, 1945

This shot is so very compelling as it displayys the gamut of emotion and expression prevalent in those post war days.

bressonrussianboy.jpg

Russian boy released from concentration camp, 1945

bressonalicante.jpg

Alicante, Spain, 1932

bressonberlinwall.jpg

Berlin Wall, 1963

bressonmarne.jpg

On the banks of the Marne, 1938

bressonarena.jpg

Roman Amphitheater, Valencia, 1933

These are a few of Bresson's more famous images. I've always admired the stark candor and grittiness of his work. His prints were always exceptional, although that aspect can't be fully appreciated in this venue.

Today, with the emergence of digital photography with it's post production editing capabilities, many traditionalists argue that true photography, such as this, is dying due to the comparable ease one can manipulate an image and change it. Those who defend this editing tell us that Bresson's images were all staged and weren't the honest representations of reality they were once thought to be.

I don't know, all I know is that Bresson traveled the world with his Leica and gave us images of life in his time as a permanent record for all to see.

Edited by Ron G.

• 3 months later...

I'm bumping this up because I just framed some amazing pieces - Disney fans might especially enjoy this.

The work of Eiydon Earle. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eyvind_Earle

There's a strong oriental influence in his work. Amazing colors! I hope you enjoy these.

pm-22962-large.jpg

earle1t.gif

firetree_tn.jpg

• 8 months later...

This thread has been dormant for awhile.

I just got this video in an email about the amazingly decorated trucks and buses in Pakistan. I didnt know exactly where to post it, so elected to resurrect this thread

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="

name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"></param><embed src="
type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

I have two acrylic on arches paper from Shawn Skeir's Celebration Series. I bought them for my kids, but also because I just loved them. The colors are so bold. . . . the abstract design catches and holds the eye. I don't have a photo of them, but here is some of his other work. http://www.jacobgallery.com/art_gallery/original_fine_art/Shawn_Skeir/original_artworks.html

The other piece I have is by an artist who is more well known for his conceptual art. Iain Baxter. I have the silkscreen mono print on paper entitled landscape. It is a weather vane. . . teal gray background. I love it. http://www.corkingallery.com/?q=node/50/bodiesofwork

All are signed and in good condition.

I have a few other things I really love. . . a beautiful water color with stunning calligraphy of 1st Corinthians 13

A signed silk Serigraph by Lyn Howley. Mine is dark greens with gold water lillies and when the light hits it just right it shimmers. It is huge and luckily I have a long wall where it hangs beautifully. It is my favorite. http://www.icollector.com/Chicago-Park-By-Lyn-Howley-Chicago-artist-2015175_i7801590