GreaseSpot Cafe

The Art Thread

doojable

You would think that her head would be bigger given the perspective. But it's nice. How large is the actual painting?

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Oh well...its cool tho. Dont know if it would go with my decor but its nice.

Edited by Eyesopen

BTW George, Today I got to handle an original drawing by Diego Rivera.

I'm considered the Master framer - so it was entrusted to me. It was real neat to have a little bit of history in my white gloved hands.

His drawing style is reminiscent of Picasso's. This drawing was of a man amusing a baby with a rattle. It was a very sweet drawing - even in it's abstractness.

Edited by doojable

Ya know George, I kinda expected you'd like to see it. But we had the piece locked in a safe until I framed it and I had to get it out of the shop ASAP. The most I could have done is taken a photo with my cell phone- and that wouldn't have turned out too well.

That's by Andrew Wyeth, isn't it? "Christina's World."

His grandfather, NC Wyeth and his son, Jamie Wyeth were/are also great.

I'll post some of their works soon.

Edited by doojable

Yesterday, on the Ovation TV channel (I have Direct TV satellite), was showing a history of photography intermixed with profiles of various contemporary photographers. Among them was Gregory Crewdson and it documented one of his shoots. Quite interesting, really.

Anyway, three somewhat controversial photographers were mentioned...Sally Mann, Jock Sturges and David Hamilton. I've always found their work to be disturbing and inappropriate, although they're widely accepted in the art community and make a helluva lot more $$$ that I ever did. They're quite well known and respected in the art/photo community and I have to admit, Hamilton is a master with color rendition and composition.

I won't go into what they do, you can Google and find out for yourself. Maybe I'm being too "old fogeyish" here, but I'm curious what others think. Are these three genuine artists or ???

Ovation TV is airing a one hour documentary on Sally Mann this week and I think PBS did one a while back.

What do the GSer's think?

I must say - it's well done.

I couldn't live with it.

It makes me feel like doing some crunches and sit-ups.

I read the article. I always admire works that are life-sized and push the envelope a bit. But - this image does nothing for me.

Edited by doojable

I promised to post some of NC Wyeth'sand Jamie Wyeth's works:

NC was the father of Andrew. He was basically an illustrator. I always love his work when I see it:

Here is the cover illustration to the Last of the Mohicans

:

BRM_81.18.1.jpg

He handled space, and color so well.

Jamie's work is similar to his father, Andrew's:

redhouse.jpg

OHMYGAWD, Karmic,

That's a hoot! That's all I could do when I saw it was just burst out laughing.

Yeah, not exactly what I'd wanna be looking at for any length of time. But, hey, taste is a pretty subjective sorta thing...

I googled the photogs that you posted Ron. I thought Hamilton was the best of the lot. I like some of Sturges' stuff too - maybe 'cause I'm a sucker for really welldone B&W. But I didn't see much of anything in Sally Mann's work. I kinda think, were it not for the age of her subjects, nobody would have noticed...

I really like the "Mohican" too dooj. You can definitely see the hand of an illustrator in that. I like the bold outline of the subject...

Take a look at the links I provided on the Wyeths. I am partial to NC Wyeth... maybe because there's an almost theatric quality to his work. His color always grabs me - even when it's subdued.

1. Do you like/hate it? Love it.

2. Would you enjoy living with this piece? (Sometimes you like a piece but still wouldn't want to live with it.) Yes.

3. What if anything does this piece make you feel? Inquisitive--what is she doing?

I would post some of my favorite pieces, Dooj, but can never figure out how to.

Nice thread.

1. Do you like/hate it? Love it.

2. Would you enjoy living with this piece? (Sometimes you like a piece but still wouldn't want to live with it.) Yes.

3. What if anything does this piece make you feel? Inquisitive--what is she doing?

I would post some of my favorite pieces, Dooj, but can never figure out how to.

Nice thread.

Waterbuffalo- which piece are you referring to?

• 2 weeks later...

Say Mstar - I have always loved Zappa. Thanks for posting that. I also liked the way visuals were added to the music - somehow it became more than just a performance... Perfomance art?

Thanks for posting that.

Here's some interesting information I just learned. I've been working with color theory for most of my life - but I never knew about the history of the color wheel

History of color theory

The first color wheel was invented by Sir Isaac Newton. He split white sunlight into red, orange, yellow, green, cyan, and blue beams; then he joined the two ends of the color spectrum together to show the natural progression of colors. Newton associated each color with a note of a musical scale.

A century after Newton, Johann Wolfgang Goethe began studying psychological effect of colors. He noticed that blue gives a feeling of coolness and yellow has a warming effect. Goethe created a color wheel showing the psychological effect of each color. He divided all the colors into two groups – the plus side (from red through orange to yellow) and the minus side (from green through violet to blue). Colors of the plus side produce excitement and cheerfulness. Colors of the minus side are associated with weakness and unsettled feelings.

The current form of color theory was developed by Johannes Itten, a Swiss color and art theorist who was teaching at the School of Applied Arts in Weimar, Germany. This school is also known as 'Bauhaus'. Johannes Itten developed 'color chords' and modified the color wheel. Itten's color wheel is based on red, yellow, and blue colors as the primary triad and includes twelve hues.

The reason I posted the information on color theory and the color wheel is that this is the crux of Seurat's work.

WB, I like that painting and a few of his others. He has some paintings I do not like.

But this is what makes it fun to explore...

• 4 weeks later...

I came across this art forgery. Art forgeries are totally wrong and should be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law.

I recently came across this shameless attempt.

In 1932, Henri Cartier-Bresson (the father of photojournalism) did the famous photograph which sold for $12,500. Well, along comes somebody who has no original ideas of their own but want to cash in on greatness.

Here is the original

bressonbehind.jpg

Behind the Gare Saint-Lazare.

This photo "Behind the Gare Saint-Lazare", printed on 11 x 14 inch paper sold for $12,500

Okay, the following photo emerged, later, and after much study, and lab tests of emusions, silver content etc., experts determined it to be a forgery.

bresson2.jpg

I'm sure everyone will agree, this is just a tragedy for art to be faked for filthy lucre.

HARRUMPH!!