GreaseSpot Cafe

Rocky Horror of the Spirit

Juan Cruz

You may have all already been through this topic, but I haven't been around GSC for a few years or more -- until I read Ms. Skedgall's book recently.

I was very active in TWI from 1970 to 1977 and am now a mainline minister who hardly ever even thinks of TWI. The kool aid has been completely out of my system since about 1986.

I watched the video clip on the home page of GSC of some conflated "Rocky Horror Picture Show" and "Athletes of the SPirit." I had NEVER seen ANY of AOTS. I just assumed it would bore/disgust me. It also brought back bad memories as family members still trapped in TWI talked about it like it was the Grail, back after I had escaped from that prison fortress tower of false believing.

Actually, though it is a bit sad when one knows just how sick TWI was (is), I don't look down on such dance (I'm a fan and friend of Elizabeth Streb... and her athletic dance style).

The choreographic precision impresses me, even though I know it was bought at the lynch counter of Germanic/cultic obedience as much as artistic discipline. I gather it was a grand, if misguided, attempt to save a world on the brink of apocalypse? That's always good. I am attempting the same thing in a different arena (Si, se puede) and will even dance on street corners if i think it will help.

I don't look down on CM for taking a lead role - though I gather that his mind was as wavy as his cerebral cortex at the time.

Oy vey ist mir, to try to recover some normal life... with that video record from one's past on the web. Who will pray with me for the Athlete(s) of the Spirit? My favorite historical nutjob jock for Jesus is Henry Suso, though Simeon Stylites had style too.

"Let's do The Time Warp again!" I'm so past it....my inner calendar has curved according to the physics of relative and spiritual space.... I'm so past it, I could spend (another) eternity in New Knoxville with no ill effects... I might even buy me a leotard before I go.

Todo el mejor,

hijo espiritual de Monica en la ventana de mi casa sosegada

Odd thing is, it's always the weekend/beginning, and never Monday, in Casa de Lunes.

you sound too hip to be "mainline" but that's cool

Dear OtherDan,

I AM too hip to be mainline!

I was gonna go to a UU church in PTown this morning but Sra. Cruz got sick and had to go to a doctor.

This congregation, in one of America's hippest towns, has organized voter registration.. all day every day on Commercial St. - one of America's hippest streets.

I did 3.5 hours of 'witnessing' voter reg. last week (registered over 30 people.. maybe 40).

"You may have changed your name. You may have changed your address. You may be living in another country under another name but ya gotta vote for somebody."

Eli Eli, lama barackobamatani...

God, spare our land.

Edited by Juan Cruz

You wouldn't be bored, nor disgusted, Juan. You'd be laughing your tushie off! I had a WayDaler send me a copy years back, and almost fell off my chair at the intro...

"The Man of God...standing firm and erect at the bema..."
:biglaugh::confused::redface2:

Now, the dancers do their best, and I always thought that MP was careful not to give her dancers things that were beyond them. But that is the point when you see Loy trying to dance -- she gave him the simplest moves, and he couldn't manage them. He lumbers around, looking like an ex-jock that got lost in a ballet studio, which is what he was. She has him standing still as much as possible. Just goes to show -- we make it look easy, but that doesn't mean it is easy.

The whole thing goes on for too long. Way too long. The writhing demon scenes had me muttering "bitten by devils" under my breath. I could never have sat in the audience with a straight face, not even back then.

Dancingly,

Shaz

PS -- the Bates Dance Festival is back in town here, and I get some vicarious thrills. Those who can no longer do, buy a ticket! :) And my 5'10" son is going to take some classes from them starting tomorrow. Who'd a thunk it?

Edited by shazdancer

Now, the dancers do their best, and I always thought that MP was careful not to give her dancers things that were beyond them. But that is the point when you see Loy trying to dance -- she gave him the simplest moves, and he couldn't manage them. He lumbers around, looking like an ex-jock that got lost in a ballet studio, which is what he was.

Maybe it should have been called, "Jocky Horry of the Spirit" :evildenk:

If you're really into P-Town, maybe AOTS is right up your ally. :evildenk:

NOT that there's anything wrong with it, right?

PTown, a place where there is no discrimination on the basis of sexual orientation. How refreshing!

I registered 20 new voters there this afternoon, while my teen kids & their friends climbed the dunes (where allowed).

Yeah there is - with both things... P-Town ain't what it used to be and isn't exactly rated "G" anymore.... AOTS isn't exactly for kids either, even tho it was marketed as such.... coloring books, rainbow headbands and wrist bands for the kids.... if HQ Bookstore has anymore of those headbands and wristbands left over, maybe they can sell 'em in P-Town. :confused:

Edited by ChasUFarley

AOTS isn't exactly for kids either, even tho it was marketed as such.... coloring books, rainbow headbands and wrist bands for the kids....

Good point...I'll never forget walking around at the roa and seeing coloring books with lcm in his superhero costume on the front cover...I remember thinking at the time "good grief, Martindale has turned himself into Aquaman"

and this monstrosity of a performance was being marketed to the kids!...Unbelievable! Hey kids...watch the mighty Aquaman squish the devils from hell as they swarm and gyrate all over the stage like lurid little sex demons...wasn't it about this time that the sex orgies with the teenagers happened at tent city at the roa?

Perhaps, more than any other event...the AOS performance demonstrated how nuts lcm really was...How far the cheese had slipped off of his cracker. It was during this time that I began making my plans to slip out the back door and be gone.

"The problem with America is stupidity. I'm not saying there should be a capital punishment for stupidity,

but why don't we just take the safety labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself?"

P-Town will still be here... Podunk might not.

Long live P-Town, America's greatest town.... NYC is its greatest city.... IMHO

.... must confess, i fantasize working in, and living over, a diner in Cody, Wyoming sometime

Good point...I'll never forget walking around at the roa and seeing coloring books with lcm in his superhero costume on the front cover...I remember thinking at the time "good grief, Martindale has turned himself into Aquaman"

and this monstrosity of a performance was being marketed to the kids!...Unbelievable! Hey kids...watch the mighty Aquaman squish the devils from hell as they swarm and gyrate all over the stage like lurid little sex demons...wasn't it about this time that the sex orgies with the teenagers happened at tent city at the roa?

Perhaps, more than any other event...the AOS performance demonstrated how nuts lcm really was...How far the cheese had slipped off of his cracker. It was during this time that I began making my plans to slip out the back door and be gone.

My LC in TN used to talk about his wife who was one of devils spirits in the production and spoke about how she was one of the few AC only grads in the performance - I guess everyone had to be WC or some such standard...

Anyhow, I about choked on my coffee when she responded to the question about which type of debbil spirut she was.... "sensual and alluring". :confused:

Oh, whoot whoot.

Put that on your spiritual resume and smoke it....

P-Town will still be here... Podunk might not.

Long live P-Town, America's greatest town.... NYC is its greatest city.... IMHO

.... must confess, i fantasize working in, and living over, a diner in Cody, Wyoming sometime

Glad you like my sig.

What's "podunk"? As in, "small town America"?

Good luck on that diner gig - sounds killer.