GreaseSpot Cafe

Weenie Roast 2008?

Thomas Loy Bumgarner

Well Texas and New England are doing their thing, so what about the Southeast? Last year suggested something either in Eastern Tenn., in the Carolinas, VA, or GA. Anything come of it for this year, i.e. Weenie Roast 2008?

Edited by pawtucket

Rascal, I was thinking possibly early October when leaves are at peak, not too hot and not too cold. Noticed that Texas and New England were doing their thing. Just haven't heard anything this year. Can make it for Friday and Saturday but need to be back in Hickory to play for Holy Cross' 2 services on Sunday morning. And let's make it pork BBQ (real barbeque), nothing against beef brisket or clambakes/lobster but BBQ, hot dogs and hamburgers with lemonade and sweet ice tea, beer optional. Any one else interested?

Where is Tims Ford located? Eastern Tenn? What city/cities is it near? If it is less than 4-6 hours driving distance, then yes. Don't have a tent or camper. Is there a motel nearby?

Tims Ford State Park is west of Chattanoga, TN near Winchester and Lynchburg, which are SE of Nashville/Brentwood near I-24. If I leave Hickory about 7 or 8 am, it should take me about 6-7 hours(whether I take I-40 and I-75, or US 64 and 74 to TN). Now if it were closer to Knoxville area or the Tri-City area(Johnson City/Kingsport, Bristol), I would say definitely count me in.

I don't know if Warriors Path State Park near Kingsport,TN would be open or not in early October. When I lived there in 1960's it was only less than 30 minutes from where we lived(just north of Blountville).

Hungry Mother State Park in Virginia, near Marion is another possibility. Oh, you will find me down in the Reading room on hymnody with Cynic.or Fairy Stone State Park near Martinsville, VA is another one I am familar with.

Edited by Thomas Loy Bumgarner

Unless Gatlinburg area has one, I am not sure. I was hoping for something more in Eastern Tenn.(Chattanoga, Gatlinburg, Knoxville, Tri-City/Northeastern). It takes me about 1&1/2 to get to Asheville or 2 hours to Johnson City/Bristol/Kingsport/Greenville,TN including Abingdon,VA, and 3-4 hours to Knoxville/Oak Ridge(hate the curves on I-40 from Old Fort to Black Mountain, and again from Cannon/Enka/Chandler/Waynesville to Newport,TN). Besides I have mild panic/anxiety attacks if I am on the road more than 2-3 hours, heights and lots of traffic in large cities(Charlotte, Raleigh, etc.) can trigger them, especially during rain/thunderstorms. Yes I take celexa to help calm my nerves, still I don't like driving on the interstate too long, stopping every 1-2 hours. Interestingly, until my late 40's, I used to have no or little problems driving straight for 3 hours before stopping to use the facilities or just walking around to get some exercise. Getting old in my age, I guess.

Rascal, has anyone expressed interests? I know gas prices have limited many people's travels. Has any one else besides you and Purple haze talked about it?

How about Ham, our Squirrel of God for this day and time? :biglaugh: . Were there photos of the 2007 Wienie Roast(last year)? Saw the ones from either 2004 or 2005.

Guess the wieenie roast is off for this year. No further talk has occured.