GreaseSpot Cafe

Entertainment Channel Investigates Cults, Religion

skyrider

As a follow-up to "The Soup" thread.........the Entertainment Channel, this Friday, will be investigating cults and religions. Kinda makes me wonder if that "dance piece from The Way" sparked an interest in seeing what other wierd things are out there in cults......in the vein of "entertainment."

Maybe twi will continue to get THAT FREE PUBLICITY that they so crave....???!!!

:biglaugh::dance::biglaugh:

Thanks Sky,

I see you had the time up there sorry! My multitasking skills are slipping down the proverbially hill along the weaning of the rest of my skills!!! There must be something good about growing old...I just haven't discovered it yet!!!

I will be watching with You. It should be very interesting!!!

Did anyone catch this? We weren't home and I forgot to record it.

penguin......yes, I watched it (since I started this thread). :redface2:

Mostly, this investigation focused on the group Children of God and founder Bergman. According to this report, COG gained momentum and popularity in the late 60s when young people were looking for something outside the organized church and establishment. The founder was noted to have narcisstic characteristics with an exceptional charismatic personality......who also promoted his liberal sexual lifestyle to the group.

The investigation focused on three ex-members of COG who were outspoken against the sexual abuse, the mental torment and spiritual fragmentation that such practices engendered. Bergman was grooming a young boy to be "heir to the throne" and touted as "The One" chosen to take COG to great heights. Sexually abused by his nanny through the years and the disconnect with reality......years later, after struggling with his identity and guilt sought out his childhood nanny, killed her and then, committed suicide.

There were a couple of other groups talked about in this show.....but COG was the main investigation.

What I took from this investigation was this: The founder was a narcisstic, charismatic leader who opposed mainstream Christianity. He targeted the youth for self-serving goals to build an army of volunteers who would recruited others to "build his kingdom".....while he fulfilled his sexual lusts. By isolating his followers, he was able to constantly feed them with mind-numbing mantras in his teachings, newsletters, missions, etc. And,

when the founder died off.....the wife took to running the group in the SAME manner.

Of course, the ex-members were NOW amazed that they didn't see it sooner. And now, the second generation has to deal with the destruction and abuse at the hands of their "leaders."

Any of this sound familiar?

:evildenk: