GreaseSpot Cafe

Hear Dylan's New Album Free on NPR

Belle

From NPR's site:

Widely regarded as America's greatest living songwriter, Bob Dylan has written and recorded some of the most influential and acclaimed music of the past century. With countless studio albums, compilations and live discs to his name in his nearly 50-year career, Dylan continues to produce new music that's as vital as his earliest recordings, and still performs more than 100 concerts every year in what's been called the "never-ending tour."

For the legions of fans who still can't get enough, Dylan's longtime label (Columbia Records) has been releasing a series of "bootleg" CDs from the singer — a vast collection of rare recordings and outtakes spanning five decades. The series began in 1991 with the first three bootleg volumes, covering the first 30 years of Dylan's career. Now, 17 years later, Columbia is about to release the eighth volume. Tell Tale Signs covers Dylan's past 20 years, a period that produced the albums Time Out of Mind, Love and Theft, Modern Times and Oh Mercy. Tell Tale Signs offers a rare glimpse into Dylan's creative process, with alternate takes that show the evolution of his work, as his songs take shape lyrically and musically.

Columbia recently gave listeners an early taste of Tell Tale Signs by offering the track "Dreamin' of You" as a free download from Dylan's Web site. You can also hear the song on the latest episode of All Songs Considered. Here, NPR Music offers a sneak preview of the entire two-disc set as a free stream. The album will be officially released in stores and online on Oct. 7.

You can listen to the album free here.

• 2 weeks later...

Belle,

Perhaps you are interested (perhaps not), but the lead guitarist of your favorite singer is none other than Stu Kimball. Stu was a Wayfer for years - a really nice guy. He was in the band "Face-to-Face" that at one time was all Wayfers or former ones.

He is mentioned and there are photos of him on Dylan's website.

He has his own website somewhere - something like Stukimball.com. I'll try to find it.

Waylaid

ROCK NOTES

Kimball’s career is a-changin’

By Steve Morse, Globe Staff | August 6, 2004

Everyone cheers when an unsung hero gets a break. After years of paying his Boston dues, guitarist Stu Kimball has recently been hired to back Bob Dylan on tour. Translation: Kimball has suddenly moved up from playing the Lizard Lounge and Toad in Cambridge to playing Bonnaroo and wherever else Dylan's so-called "Never Ending Tour" goes. He has done 30 shows so far and got to jam with Rolling Stone Ron Wood when Wood jumped up one night with Dylan.

"It's an honor, but I can't really say much more about it," says Kimball, who takes the Fifth if you probe him about the notoriously private Dylan.

Still, it is indeed an honor for Kimball, who has been one of the most beloved musicians in Boston. He has worked with Peter Wolf (co-producing Wolf's "Long Line" album), and with the Twinemen, the Laurie Sargent Band, Face to Face, Bigtown, and the Martha's Vineyard group Drawn Butter. Kimball has also backed Carly Simon.

But landing the Dylan gig -- which he got through an audition -- is the biggest break of his career. "It's always great to play with supremely talented musicians," says Kimball, who will be with the group Sunday when Dylan and Willie Nelson headline Campanelli Stadium in Brockton.

Meanwhile, many Boston performers can't say enough good things about Kimball, a New Hampshire native who first came to Boston in the early '80s with Face to Face, which included singer Sargent and drummer Billy Beard, who now books the Lizard Lounge and Toad.

"Stu was like the musical guru of our school," says Sargent, who has known him since they attended high school in Hopkinton, N.H. "We don't really have to talk about playing together because we're so used to each other."

"When we found out that Stu got the Dylan gig, nobody cheered louder than us," says drummer Billy Conway of the Twinemen. "Just being near it has been enough for all of us." (Kimball came back and joined the Twinemen last week at the Middle East.)

"Stu is one of the most soulful musicians I have ever played with," says saxophonist Dana Colley, who is also in the Twinemen. "When he plays, it just comes from within. He's a musician's musician, that's for sure."

The self-taught Kimball started playing guitar at age 10 and then became hooked on Jimi Hendrix, the Stones, and the Beatles. "I've always gravitated to players who made their instrument talk," he says. "When I was younger, it was Hendrix. And it's always been Keith Richards of the Stones. And one of my favorite modern-day players is Mike Campbell with Tom Petty & the Heartbreakers."

Kimball's history with Dylan actually goes back to 1985 when Kimball played guitar on "When the Night Comes Falling from the Sky," a track on Dylan's "Empire Burlesque" album. Kimball also played with some of Dylan's backup musicians when they assisted on Wolf's last album, "Sleepless."

"I first met Stu back in the Face to Face days," says Wolf, whom Kimball considers his best friend. "We've shared many long nights together playing music until dawn and then doing it again. He's a comrade in arms."

© Copyright 2006 Globe Newspaper Company.

PS

I always liked the song when the Night comes falling from the Sky It always reminded me of a response to Craigs loyalty letter with lyrics like

I saw thousands who could have overcome the darkness,

For the love of a lousy buck, I've watched them die.

Stick around, baby, we're not through,

Don't look for me, I'll see you

When the night comes falling from the sky.

Well, I sent you my feelings in a letter

But you were gambling for support.

This time tomorrow I'll know you better

When my memory is not so short.

This time I'm asking for freedom,

Freedom from a world which you deny.

And you'll give it to me now,

I'll take it anyhow

When the night comes falling from the sky.

Edited by WhiteDove