GreaseSpot Cafe

Whoo Hooo! Step one accomplished

Ham

I hear they start shifts by group chants.."the customer is ALWAYS right.. the customer is ALWAYS right.."

this "customer" says.. "you are working for a company that is run by a**holes"..

"the customer is ALWAYS right.. the customer is ALWAYS right.."

:biglaugh:

I feel like we're living in times more significant than the sixties..

000201DD.gifI hear ya! And I pretty much agree with ya too!!! I'm not as well versed in product research as you appear to be - - but I do know that one of our Presidential candidates this election cycle actually announced that he favored nuclear power plants. Now, they are clean, for sure. However...we still haven't figured out what to do with the spent waste from those existing plants in this country. I believe it is most unwise to build more of them until we do!! There is a nuclear power plant on Long Island in the villiage of Shorham. It was built at I forget how many billions of dollars and HAS NEVER OPENED because the NY State gov won't allow it to open until or unless the derive an appropriate evacuation plan for the surrounding area in the event of a catastrophe. There is no way to evacuate Long Island from that far out.....without funnelling through NYC. IMNSHO that would take a minimum of a week or two at 24/7 operation.If we get our chemists working on cleaning up coal cheaply enough (not cheap) we could halt ALL petroleum imports the very next day ! We own the lion's share of the world's best coal. Coal mines collapse because the owners won't shell out the $$ to make them safe since they are forced to sell the coal so cheaply. So - - who's killing whom?While I was working, it was mandatory for me to live a certain life-style. Now that I'm retired, I don't and I haven't bought a new piece of clothing (other than underwear) in more than 1 year. This winter I will need to replace somethings. Oh well....nothing lasts forever. Edited by krysilis

developing enough solar and wind and bio plants might be part of the answer.. of course that would almost require an effort not too much less than entirely replacing infrastructure to begin with.. the wind farms do appear to be popping up, but not so much around here.

I don't think people have a clue at times, how much WORK use of cheap foreign oil circumvents.

We are like junkies, addicted to cheap energy..

then there's the "mental" aspect of it too.. cheap, foreign oil.. it turns off the imagination.. the exercise of intellect to come up a rationalization to live with a more expensive option.. and as long as there's the "good life".. there's no reason to even think about it.. or research real alternatives, for a lot of people anyway..

steel industry would have to retool.. to more effecient methods. We have for the most part, seventy year old formerly energy sucking foundries lieing waste..

government itself seems to be addicted to cheap oil.. and do what is necessary in the world to procure it.. a threat to oil is a threat to national security.. and some little regime somewhere better not get in way of the bully's next "fix"..

I think the people want change.. it's easier to change one step at a time.. rather than face extreme circumstances one is not prepared for. Although that might be what's in store.

So you go to the store.. and there's a choice.. a cheap, chinese 100 watt tungsten light bulb for fifty eight cents..

it is more useful as a heater, than producing visible light.

Then there's a cheap, fancy chinese florescent equivalent, that uses one third the energy, and produces practically no waste in terms of heat.. and it will last longer than it's energy hoggish neighbor.. but it costs $2.99, and will last five times longer or more.. of course we'll have to figure a way to recover the mercury out of it.. just not dump it in the landfill or something..

"mister, mister.. give me the CHEAP one.. come on.. gimme the cheap...."

The new little white LED's are pretty nifty though. They are even more expensive.. but they produce NO heat. Just light.. enough of them ganged together and one can have the equivalent of a 100 watt light bulb, operating costs roughly one tenth or better, and.. with normal use, they will probably last fifty years..

I look at it more like an investment. Twenty to fifty bucks, depending on the size.. for the last light bulb you will ever buy.. if they are poor, the grandkids will be fighting over who gets it in the will..