GreaseSpot Cafe

If you have a computer issue

mchud11

So;

Again a newbie here, and by my own admission, bi-polar on the mania side. Another intro: My name is Michael Chudzinski, a newbie. To be honest, my opinion, practice..is that giving is a decent thing to do, being outside of The Way International, the thing that sticks in my mind is the public service message that has the theme that giving ones time has value, like their example is a father spending time with his children...its a principle to me, spending time with an internal personal view or intent of unconditional love is giving.

So here goes: I may be able to help some of the folks on the PC world, if in using your computer there is some issue. In specific terms: I will keep an eye on whats being posted in the forum and respond to you, if I feel I can assist you, or I have some reasonable person experience in that area. Advice or possibly direction for a problem.

So, my time flexibility is a spectrum, sometimes I am so very busy, sometimes I got nothin going on except upgrades around my farm. Anyway,

Switch to newbie role: This is who I was (with getting older and more competition from Overseas in the field)

MY QUALS:

Wall Data 1992-1993 Technical Support Note 1

Midisoft - 1992-1993 Beta Tester - Note 2

Microsoft 1993-1994 Technical Support - Note 3

Keane, Inc. 1994-1995 Technical Support - Note 4

Siemens 1995-1999 Desktop Technician - Note 5

Nomadix 1999 - 2001 Experienced Tester - Note 6

These dates are from memory, not a resume. Bottom line is I started into PC's around 1985, graduated from Evergreen State with a B.A, focused on the PC area, that drew me to Advanced Networking. So, its a lifetime of experience in what 11 years. So, Redmond when Microsoft was 6 buildings, then to Silicon Valley, then to L.A. where the money from the Internet Boom had spilled down to high tech areas in Westlake Village.. A past life, really, yet I stayed reasonably up on changes in the PC world. Like right now, I sort of get the impression that the i7 processor by Intel is a good bang for the buck.

-----So, if you venture this far..nerd talk coming...I salute you, if you make it a read all the way through---------

Note 1: Wall Data does mainframe to PC communications. Software emulators. Emulation is a software mimic. I supported customers that had issue of our software being able to have a computer session with a mini-mainframe or mainframe.

Note 2: Mididsoft competed with Microsoft's new product "Power Point". I tested Midissofts' product "Presentation Partner"..specifically, the functioning of a new software technology/standard knowm and OLE or object linking and embedding. Its childs play today, but back then, it was where the market of software was cutting edge..

Note 3: Microsoft was growing. This is like DOS 6.1. to Windows 3.11 and Windows 95 is alpha code. And I am there as a Contractor.

Note 4: Keane is partnered with Microsoft. Ah, Windows 95. And I am back at Microsoft as a visiting engineer. New code on a technology that allows a business to encrypt application software that can be unlocked with a key..like you pay for the key and viola...whatever product..Ta Da... and 95 rolls out, people are buying copies way faster than anticipated and the calls are coming in...

Note 5: Siemens was big in Santa Clara, 1,400 workers, a new chip used for something called a "smart card". USB is the new high tech for hardware, the cutting edge. We do muti-mode fiber optics to the desktop. Oh, and as good as it got were german software solutions to using the Internet as a mode for tele-conferencing, yep, at this time Microsoft's product broke every time there was too much information from one side, or too long a lag.. and now days we take voice and video chat for granted...I come from this dark age in computer technology. So, I leave about the time that blu-tooth was all prototype and gigabit ethernet cards just hit the market for, well, basically testing. I'm pulling in the 60K's.

Note 6: Nomadix was founded by one of the founders of the Internet, and long term Instructor at UCLA, Leonard Kleinrock. He invented "packet switching". His best student developed the TCP/IP protocol. So, I am working in a small engineering group. We put together test networks. So, I do ATM, cable heads, the cutting edge technology that is emerging out of Japan called "DSL".

=====

Michael

a kind offer indeed mchud, and welcome to the cafe. Watch this section and from time to time you will find a help request. Your inputs will be welcome to us who need these machines for our output.

How are you with identifying the cause of "Unhandled exceptions" (UE). I will start a new thread with my current problem. If you or anyone else can help it will be WONderful!.

~HAP

a kind offer indeed mchud, and welcome to the cafe. Watch this section and from time to time you will find a help request. Your inputs will be welcome to us who need these machines for our output.

How are you with identifying the cause of "Unhandled exceptions" (UE). I will start a new thread with my current problem. If you or anyone else can help it will be WONderful!.

~HAP

Well, HAP, my first client. I haven't heard or seen the UE for some time, so my frame of reference, or perception is we are talking about a Windows 95 or Windows 98 machine? The way you have asked the question is exceptional, the root cause...that is the million dollar question. The long answer is that software is really the computer, the hardware of the computer only carries out the instructions given to it by software..and although software is like stored on some media, a hard drive, a flash stick, whatever...the software is very rarely as good or predicatable as the hardware.

So, you have something running, there is always something running, an application, whatever on your coumputer. Then something happens, the code isn't logical, but something breaks down. The software, the code, most of the time, has somewhere to go, if it well written code, a error message, which are also written into the code to occur when its important, many times gives you something to go by...here...its like the code, goes for the generic error message, a catch all type error message.. so that is whats going on..the software saying I do not know where to go, I do not know what to do, I can't recover from here.

So, the info, that makes this easier, is what, when, were or are you doing, prior to the error message? What it the pattern of use that results in the error message being generated? Something very specific, everytime you do this, this and this, you get the error message...or no real pattern, it happens without a pattern, you could be doing anything and it comes up?

michael

Edited by mchud11