GreaseSpot Cafe

Anybody ever hear of deep fried hot dogs?

• 2 weeks later...

There was a show on PBS here about a week ago about hot dog stands around the country. One segment was a place famous for its deep-fried hot dogs. There were three kinds. I forget the other names, but the "Rippers" were the ones left in the fat long enough to start splitting.

Anywho, here's the blurb from pbs.org describing the show. You can go there and see if this show will be airing in your area soon.

"From the Fourth of July hot dog-eating contest at Coney Island to a gourmet reindeer-dog vendor at the start of the Iditarod sled dog race, A HOT DOG PROGRAM visits some of the country's coolest hot dog places. The one-hour special is a fun look at some hot dog history, a guide to some of the finest hot dog houses in the country, and an unabashedly friendly look at these finely ground sausages and their fans."

It was pretty entertaining.

Me, I like my hot dogs grilled and then instead of mustard, smeared with peanut butter! (Don't laugh unless you've tried it!)

Linda Z

Correction:

A true "Chicago style" hot dog has:

tomato wedges

cucumber slices

dill pickle spear

celery salt

mustard

relish

onions

sport peppers

on a poppy seed bun

And when they ask what you want on it, if you say "everything", that AUTOMATICALLY includes the peppers. You have to tell them "everything no peppers" if you don't want the hot peppers.

And oh the looks you'll get if you dare to put ketchup on them! I know this by experience. But I still do it anyway.

Interesting Steve. Everything sounds good except the relish.(yick) I didn't even know what a "Chicago style" hot dog was..though I have heard some pretty heated debates over whether Chicago style pizza is actually deep dish or thin crust...

babyrott60percent.gif

...It's hard to be humble when you own a Rottweiler...

Yes, that's not a typo, both relish AND a dill pickle spear go on the true Chicago Style hot dog.

Chicago Style pizza is neither deep dish nor thin crust.

It's thick crust pizza.

My personal preference is thin crust, but most thin crusts today taste like cracker dough.

Rosati's does a pretty good job of thin crust, Barnaby's used to be right up there, and Jake's used to be the very best.

As far as deep dish, you can't beat a Lou Malnati's pizza. Edwardo's and Gino's East try, but they just don't come close.

Giordano's is pretty much the same as Gino's and Edwardo's, they are all pretty good. Let me put it this way - they are all Scottie Pippen next to Michael Jordan. A star in his own right, but overshadowed by the greatone.

I've never had Pizzeria Uno's pizza, but then I've never met anyone that has had anything good to say about them. Ditto California Pizza Kitchen.