GreaseSpot Cafe

How hard is it to solder?

Bramble

I want a high capacity battery, and I can buy one reasonably, but it has to be soldered. The local shop wil charge me $65!!! I'd rather learnhow to do it myself.Plus steam punk jewelry is all the rage-- I could make some for ebay. Any sugestions?

Actually soldering is not too difficult

but it requires a bit of patience to make a good electronic solder.

For an electronic solder you will need one of those pen type solderers and also you need to be sure to heat the copper wires sufficiently before heating the solder to get a full and correct connection

I will go see if I can find some online instructions.

be back shortly

(I used to have to make electrical connectors for one of my jobs)

Be careful soldering the battery.. i.e. don't allow the battery leads to touch each other (or both simultaneously touch the soldering iron tip).

high capacity batteries can at the least get very, very hot if one shorts the terminals together..

• 4 weeks later...

Did you get 'er soldered Bramble? If you're still looking, try a Lowes or hardware store for THIS ONE

I've got a couple different soldering irons for small wiring stuff and this is my "go to" - it heats up quickly and is very safe. I've had it for a few years and still have the original batteries in it and have done a lot of soldering. And it's cheap! And you're right - a little practice will go a long way. (you may be an expert already - it's not hard, just requires patience).

Not sure what you're replacing but if it's anything IPod related, try these guys. They're excellent, cheap and hassle free.

I want a higher capacity battery in my palm tungsten and have ordered the battery I want. One of the IT guys at work will do it for me on a Satuday, but I still have a hankering to do it myself and he said he'd show me how. I'll check out Home Depot!

Ahhh I love it. A woman after my own heart.

It used to be guys had all the fun till women figured out that plumbing and electrical etc are incredibly satisfying... now I find more and more women willing to plunge into the former world of men. Here's hoping your project is successful Bramble.