GreaseSpot Cafe

Baby Shower ideas needed

Cindy!

At the beginning of May I'm throwing a baby shower for Jessica and she wants a Winnie the Pooh theme. She is having a girl!

I need recipe ideas, ideas for games, and decoration suggestions. I have a few....but am looking for more. We've already booked the room where we'll have it and there will be about 50 - 60 guests.

Any ideas????

Thanks!

At the beginning of May I'm throwing a baby shower for Jessica and she wants a Winnie the Pooh theme. She is having a girl!

I need recipe ideas, ideas for games, and decoration suggestions. I have a few....but am looking for more. We've already booked the room where we'll have it and there will be about 50 - 60 guests.

Any ideas????

Thanks!

For decorating, don't just do the Winnie the Pooh stuff but also include some things to relate the party to the baby. In the baby shower we did before my daughter was born, I put the DVD of a 4D ultrasound we had taken on the TV. Obviously, this isn't always possible, but perhaps some pictures of ultrasounds printed out and blown up and used strategically could be cool.

In our case, we hosted it in our house so we bought the food (mainly finger foods) and had cake that all came from one bakery/restaurant that we really liked. Not making the food yourself makes it a lot easier.

• 2 weeks later...

For Samantha's baby shower, we did a few games that was hysterical, perhaps would be for you and yours.

Her mother in law set it up but it went something like this.

The person has to hold a doll, answer the phone, hang laundry on the line, chase a naughty toddler (another party goer was the toddler), stir supper on the stove, etc., just like it really is in life with a new baby and stuff still needs to get done.

Another funny one was two are blindfolded and they are each given a doll, a diaper and a onsie. The race is to dress their baby first.

This one is funnier when men play.

A gross but funny one was candy bars melted in diapers and the players identify the candy bar by smell. EWWWWW, yeah, but funnny.

50 or 60 guests...what an opportunity...

first, have each guest offer their hardy congrats and momular salutations at the door

second, have each drop a dollar or two in a travel bag...then BOLT!...no, no, no...I meant to say...

third, take the bag to the bank and invest it in something worthwhile (there's the rub) and forget about it til Hillary finally wins or baby is college age...

or

have each guest bring something alcoholic...and I don't mean of the human variety...tea tottlers can bring ice and silly little drink umbrellas...

by the time the 50th guest is there, you should have enuf stuff for a fine (or at least eventful) shower and a heckuva new year's fling...or baby christening extravaganza...

or

my favorite...have guests bring their own baby picture, put em all in a box, and when the appropriate time comes to play dumb games,

try to match whose belongs to whom...what a panic....especially if the baby pic you bring isn't anyone anyone knows....

note: this one works really well when the aforementioned second option is imbibed in for a specified period

or

take scrap pieces of patterened silk (from ties or castaway blouses) and cut them in tidy squares,

wrap the squares around the boiled egg and let soak in a vinegar solution

oh poop!

that was the Martha Stewart easter egg thing...but y'know that might still be a fun idea on any old day when you just don't know what to do with your old silk stuff...hmmm

X

BP

Linda, I have thought about this one for a long time. 50 to 60 guests.....you go girl. I am with Mr. P. about having someone else cater the food in. This is your special time as well. I hope you have someone helping you.

One of the most precious, loving baby showers I ever attended was a large gathering like yours. It was a potluck. Honey, the food the aunts, cousins, grandmas and friends brought was fit for a king. The invitation was sort of the game played at the shower. The invitation read (along where the mother was registered) bring your favorite dish you think a pregnant mom would like. Everybody loved it.

Another close and personal idea is to have the mom have her picture taken with every guest. Then have the guest write a word of advice, sign it. Make this into a book with the picture and the handwritten advice. Priceless.

I love the picture Idea. with notes from each person that is lovely and thoughtfull

one party I went to you each cut off a piece of toilet paper to be how big around the mama's belly is. That one was really fun because people made really long pieces of toilet paper.

I also like the dollar bill thing too that sounds interesting but you would want to clue folks in about that one in the invitation.

you could name the baby... this is always fun especially if there is a prize for weirdest name.

I think a catered affair is really good for you too

but if you can't for money reasons

do finger type foods

or

get some nice rolls and some trays of lunch meat and cheese

a veggie tray and a fruit tray some chips and dip and perhaps a nice salad with vinaigrette on the side.

Desert as someone else said is cake of course.

This way folks can make their own sandwiches as they go thru the line. Every one is happy.

If you must do food for what ever reason do spaghetti with french bread and a salad. it is simple and easy and no fuss no muss really.

OR order Pizza delivered. this is another easy solution but a bit pricey.

• 3 weeks later...

Thank you for all of the suggestions/ideas, the baby shower was Sunday and it was fantastic!!!!

We rented a room in a nearby community center and it is the best room I have EVER rented with the staff giving EXCELLENT service!!!! (and I've rented a few rooms in my twime)

We had four games; guess how many m&m's are in a baby bottle, guess how much tp it takes to go around mom-to-be belly, clothespin game (everytime someone said the word baby, they would lose it and the person with the most at the end of the shower wins), and the guests wrote advice on their nametags and put them on a decorated poster board which I will laminate for years of enjoyment!!

Steve! and I catered the food ourselves and it was AWESOME!!!! We had a taco/burrito bar complete with all the fixings. If I were not in the education and counseling field, I would TOTALLY consider starting a catering business. It was wayyyy fun!!!

We got an undecorated cake from Costco and Jessica and I decorated it with a Winnie the Pooh, butterflies, and a welcome for the baby. It turned out very nicely!!!

Jessica got LOTS of great gifts and had a wonderful time!!!!!

It was a blast and a major success all around!!!

My apologies for being late on this post. One thing I "usually" remember to tell guests at someone else's baby shower is "HEY don't give them baby clothes!!!" They will get tons of them from family (you know the type - grandmom monograms the kids initials into the sleeper etc etc etc) and throw them out or give them away because the newborn grows so quickly. Give them PULLUPS and BABY WIPES. Those get used for a long time and cost a lot of money. Go spend 80 bucks on pullups and wipes - don't worry they will be used up and gone in 3 weeks and will be very appreciated. Don't buy baby monitors - they will already have four or five from paranoid relatives. Get some pullups and wipes - really trust me - I have seen the relieved smiles on the faces of parents when they get a gift from me and it is your basic (pick your brand) bag or two of pullups...

Parents of newborns are often a tad shocked at what it costs to raise an infant - uhhh you know like a house payment per child...they'll be glad for the "disposables.