GreaseSpot Cafe

Virus Protection Software - advice needed....

ChasUFarley

My niece is getting a new laptop and emailed me to ask what I'd recommend. The virus protection I use for work comes in 10-license bundles and costs about $600.00, which wouldn't suit her needs. She's graduating high school and has been accepted to a nice college.

Anyhow...

What's a good, reliable virus program you'd recommend?

THANKS!

Chas,

I've been using a product called, NOD32 by Eset. I used it at home on my PC with great results. It doesn't slow things down like Norton/Symantec does. This year, we replaced NOD32 at work replacing Symantec Enterprise. There was a noticeable increase in speed on all the machines at work. It also takes care of spyware and trojans, which Symantec was not very good at doing.

I then use Malware Malbytes, a free program that takes care of things that take over browsers. The free version has been sufficient for the office. We have about 30 laptops that are out at the public schools, where viruses run rampant, and we have been very successful at cleaning those laptops and preventing the infections from infecting the network.

It works transparently on a PC. You don't notice it at all, unless you have it give you warnings about infections. NOD32 is about 50 dollars and well worth it.

My niece is getting a new laptop and emailed me to ask what I'd recommend. The virus protection I use for work comes in 10-license bundles and costs about $600.00, which wouldn't suit her needs. She's graduating high school and has been accepted to a nice college.

Anyhow...

What's a good, reliable virus program you'd recommend?

THANKS!

The 2 best free antivirus programs (IMHO) are Avast! Home Edition and Avira Antivir.

http://www.free-av.com/en/download/index.html

http://www.avast.com/eng/download-avast-home.html

Which one is better right now keeps changing.

Avast was consistently better, but last year, Avira was ranked higher by a neutral 3rd party.

I've used both and have confidence in both of them.

===============

You already have programs picked out for firewall, antispyware and so on?