GreaseSpot Cafe

This judge get trained by VPW?

RumRunner

http://www.ohio.com/news/break_news/47834127.html

Presumably this guy got an undergraduate degree followed by a law degree followed by passing the Ohio bar exams followed by becoming a judge...

Maybe he needs drug testing or some testing for irrational thought or behavior. Or maybe he was just trained by Vic the drunk rapist...

Holy Crapola!!

BTW it is an AP story not just some local gig.

By Associated Press

POSTED: 02:36 p.m. EDT, Jun 11, 2009

COLUMBUS: An Ohio judge recently ordered two rape victims to appear before their confessed attackers in court, an insensitivity that shows why so many rape victims don't come forward, a victims' rights advocate said.

Franklin County Common Pleas Judge Timothy Horton acknowledges that the two cases weren't his finest hours and says he's evolving as a judge after three years on the bench.

Often, rape cases are settled in way that protects victims from retelling their stories on the witness stand. But in two recent unrelated cases, Horton said he wanted to hear from the victims — a 19-year-old woman and a 13-year-old boy — to make sure they understood the sentences the defendants were receiving in return for their guilty pleas.

When the woman began to break down on the stand in late April, transcripts show the judge threatened to toss out the guilty plea if she didn't compose herself.

''About two minutes here, if you don't gather yourself, I'm about to rip up this guilty plea, and this man in front of you is about to walk. So I would do your very best to gather yourself,'' Horton said, according to court transcripts.

Catherine Harper Lee, executive director of the Justice League of Ohio, said 70 percent of rape victims don't report their attacks.

''With that lack of compassion and threat of injustice, it's no wonder,'' she said.

Edited by RumRunner

if proceedings like custody, child in need of care, parental rights and others involving juveniles were public record you'd get more terrified than any "terrorist" could plant, and this article involves a juvenile as just a hint at what goes on behind closed courtroom doors. one of the saddest things i've learned while trying to make sense of my childhood is that where i live the largest group protestnig more stringet pedophile laws are legal professionals themselves, and not for the reasons you might think like assuming innonce until proven guilty, but because judges and other court personnel having the power to make or break a child's life feel that children can't tell fantasy from reality so what they testify to in court must be tempered with the understanding that they are making up a majority of they are saying as they go. grand juries and defense attorneys are allowed to ask young children things that include such graphic language that it wouldn't make it on any channel except hbo. maybe the question should be asked was vpw in cahoots with such judges and they taught him a few things about getting around the law.

Nice post but I want to add this little tidbit for you all to chew over.

IT isn't just judges and law enforcement that do this

add to it parents relatives friends and acquaintances... Most people DO NOT believe the victim... In fact most rape victims (Not to even mention children of physical abuse) are told point blank to their face that they are lying or exaggerating, Made teh story up or caused their own tragedy.

This happens every day and every where not just in TWI!.

Edited to add THIS JUDGE SHOULD BE DISBARRED! (yes I am shouting)

Edited by leafytwiglet

The judge was threatening to release a confessed rapist if the victim didn't stop crying?...What a sense of justice!...and this happened just down the road from me here in Ohio. Perhaps the most disturbing part of this story is that most major news sources seem to be ignoring the story...this thing should be all over the news and this judge should be run out of town on a rail.

Edited by GrouchoMarxJr

Wow, this is weird, I was listening to NPR today and they had a story about a federal judge who was impeached for continuous sexual harrassment of his staff, he's going to jail, but he's refusing to step down and intends to continue receiving his benefits and salary for a year while he's in serving his prison sentence...the public is actually debating about whether that's acceptable or not.

The argument over whether he deserves to keep the taxpayer's money while he's in prison, reminds me of the same people who refuse to acknowledge that vpw did anything wrong and think he's their "father in the word"!  :asdf:

Regarding the thread article, I too think this judge needs a lot more experience and should get a clue, I've had at least 4 friends, that are girls, tell me they were raped, maybe more if I think about it for a while, and all were telling the truth, none of them reported it to the authorities.  It would take a lot of guts to bring this type of case to trial, most don't want to go thru it.