GreaseSpot Cafe

Mindfields America

cheranne

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3yzYkYrgye4&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param'>http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3yzYkYrgye4&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3yzYkYrgye4&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

• Upvote 1

Beautifully done.

Thanks Krys,I don't have time to talk to people all day ,so if this can help "someone" understand about

cult awareness (then I am glad)all I know is I am suppose to make it.

If we all do what we can to expose lies,it could make a differance in someones life and death.

(adding this artical)

The Culture of Cults

Summary

Religious organisations and movements are free to practice their religion as they choose, subject to the laws of the land. In practice, this means that cults, in promoting their religious beliefs and gaining adherents, are free to use deception, misrepresentation, psychological coercion or any other techniques which do not leave physical traces and are difficult to prove in a court of law.

Initially using conventional marketing techniques, cults promote their particular belief systems. The trick is that through influencing a person's beliefs, it is possible to influence or indirectly control a person's mind. The actual controlling of mind is done by the person themselves, as they attempt to train and discipline their mind in accordance with the tenets of their new belief system. It is the belief system itself which is the primary active agent in cult mind control.

Cult belief systems differ from conventional belief systems in a number of subtle but significant ways, which may not be apparent to an outsider. To understand the nature of these differences is to understand the nature of a cult.

Cult belief systems are typically:

Independent and non-accountable - believers follow their own self-justifying moral codes: e.g. a Moonie may, in their own mind, justify deceptive recruiting as 'deceiving evil into goodness'.

Aspirational - they appeal to ambitious, idealistic people. The assumption that only weak, gullible people join cults is not necessarily true.

Personal and experiential - it is not possible to exercise informed free choice in advance, about whether the belief system is valid or not, or about the benefits of following the study and training opportunities offered by the group. The benefits, if any, of group involvement can only be evaluated after a suitable period of time spent with the group. How long a suitable period of time might be, depends on the individual, and cannot be determined in advance.

Hierarchical and dualistic - cult belief systems revolve around ideas about higher and lower levels of understanding. There is a hierarchy of awareness, and a path from lower to higher levels. Believers tend to divide the world into the saved and the fallen, the awakened and the deluded, etc.

Bi-polar - believers experience alternating episodes of faith and doubt, confidence and anxiety, self-righteousness and guilt, depending how well or how badly they feel they are progressing along the path.

Addictive - believers may become intoxicated with the ideals of the belief system, and feel a vicarious pride in being associated with these ideals. Cults tend to be cliquey and elitist, and believers can become dependent on the approval of the group's elite to maintain their own self-esteem. At an extreme, believers fear they will fall into hell if they leave the group.

Psychologically damaging - when established members leave or are expelled, they may develop a particular kind of cult-induced mental disorder, marked by anxiety and difficulty in making decisions. The disorder exhibits similarities to (but is not identical to) post-traumatic stress disorder, and certain types of adjustment disorders. [iCD 10, F60.6, F66.1, etc.]

Non-falsifiable - a cult belief system can never be shown to be invalid or wrong. This is partly why critics have low credibility, and why it can be difficult to warn people of the dangers of a cult.

• Upvote 1

Cheranne,

These points are the hallmark of nearly every religious organization. The main difference is that "cults" tend to be more legalistic and are that way presumably for the good of the individual and that person's standing with God. The cult creates the aura of having a special relationship with God, not attainable outside the cult, due to a better understanding of what God wants, than what is commonly accepted.

No religious belief system can be "proved" wrong, because ALL religious organizations are based on believing and behaving a certain way now to obtain rewards in the life after death realm, and no one's come back to tell us how it really is. We're aligning ourselves with what sounds the best.

The problem with TWI was the use of fear and intimidation to control the lives of people, and the notion that the people using fear and intimidation tactics were speaking for God and acting on God's behalf.

People who join cults in this day and age, have the opportunity to do so with eyes wide open. If they choose to not do the research and ask the questions, or blindly trust, then that's really their problem. No one can plead ignorance with all the information that is out there.

• Upvote 2

Cheranne,

These points are the hallmark of nearly every religious organization. The main difference is that "cults" tend to be more legalistic and are that way presumably for the good of the individual and that person's standing with God. The cult creates the aura of having a special relationship with God, not attainable outside the cult, due to a better understanding of what God wants, than what is commonly accepted.

No religious belief system can be "proved" wrong, because ALL religious organizations are based on believing and behaving a certain way now to obtain rewards in the life after death realm, and no one's come back to tell us how it really is. We're aligning ourselves with what sounds the best.

The problem with TWI was the use of fear and intimidation to control the lives of people, and the notion that the people using fear and intimidation tactics were speaking for God and acting on God's behalf.

People who join cults in this day and age, have the opportunity to do so with eyes wide open. If they choose to not do the research and ask the questions, or blindly trust, then that's really their problem. No one can plead ignorance with all the information that is out there.

Before the internet it was difficult to do research,but I have to say when it comes to people hurting other people

murder,suicide..not to mention child abuse there has got to be a "warning"for the public.

"These points are the hallmark of nearly every religious organization."

Bingo! And the line of demarcation between 'cults' and religious organizations are a LOT blurrier than most people realize, particularly if said characteristics happen within your own church/denomination. That's when the 'whitewashing' of one's own organization begins, I have noticed. <_<

Bingo! And the line of demarcation between 'cults' and religious organizations are a LOT blurrier than most people realize, particularly if said characteristics happen within your own church/denomination. That's when the 'whitewashing' of one's own organization begins, I have noticed. <_<

So what are you saying Garth? I don't belong to any organization.

I totally agree. That's the reason why I don't go for the "I would never fall for a cult" bs.

• Upvote 2

Cheranne,

These points are the hallmark of nearly every religious organization.

Good point

The main difference is that "cults" tend to be more legalistic and are that way presumably for the good of the individual and that person's standing with God. The cult creates the aura of having a special relationship with God, not attainable outside the cult, due to a better understanding of what God wants, than what is commonly accepted.

I don't see those comments as differentiating factors - almost all religions of any flavor all push that belief system - same thoughts on the next paragraph.

Ahhh yes...just like the crusades, like Joshua and Jericho, like a Muslim Fatwah...no difference at all. God is on my side and my side alone...

I do not believe that their eyes are wide open. There are certainly more resources available, i.e. the net, etc but a 16 yr old is still a 16 yr old - I've raised a couple of them.

TWI was more despicable to us (GSC folk) because we were in, we got conned (something which people here seem to deny a lot), our egos got slapped down for the foolish decisions we made. But I see no difference between TWI and any other mainstream religion except that TWI was nothing more than a small footnote and the Muslims and Christians are global. I'm pretty much going with Garth - but maybe taking it farther. Please feel free to keep all religions away from me.

Religion is not merely the opium of the masses, it's the cyanide. - Tom Robbins

Edited by RumRunner
  • Upvote 1

TWI was more despicable to us (GSC folk) because we were in, we got conned (something which people here seem to deny a lot), our egos got slapped down for the foolish decisions we made. But I see no difference between TWI and any other mainstream religion except that TWI was nothing more than a small footnote and the Muslims and Christians are global. I'm pretty much going with Garth - but maybe taking it farther. Please feel free to keep all religions away from me.

Religion is not merely the opium of the masses, it's the cyanide. - Tom Robbins

Yes TWI was our peculiar religion. Religion is usually a bad thing. However, I really do believe Christianity is a faith(get it?). . . . men spawn religions from it. . . . and according to the Christian faith. . . .. . . . true religion acceptable to the God of the bible is to take care of widows and orphans in their distress. . .

How many crusades or inquisitions is one going to start doing that ? :)

And. . . . Cheranne that is a nice presentation. :)

Edited by geisha779

Yes TWI was our peculiar religion. Religion is usually a bad thing. However, I really do believe Christianity is a faith(get it?). . . . men spawn religions from it. . . . and according to the Christian faith. . . .. . . . true religion acceptable to the God of the bible is to take care of widows and orphans in their distress. . .

I think that religion brings out the worst in mankind. I'd like to think differently - but I can't.

Something is missing in the concept of being godly. I've spent time with some folks that say they have a 'personal relationship with Jesus" and they are some of the most abusive people you'll ever meet. Then on top of it all, they lord that relationship over those they meet, as if they are in some club that you'd never be accepted in. It's all very arcane and subject to opinion. A conversation with these folks makes one feel like you're swimming in oatmeal.

Thanks Geisha! Although I do not belong to any church or religon,(I prefer to take my worship outdoors in nature

and meditate on those things)I do agree a "Faith"is differant and even if it is just a mustard seed,however...

I don't knock Christianity at all I had to go that route to get where I am today(out of twi twisted scriptures)

I don't have anything against wiccan,buddist,muslim etc...BUT the reason I talk about Jesus is because that IS

what I was searching for in the 1rst place(which twi "claimed"to have the answers too,...like most of us here

at gs I was hook line and sinker(too bad they didn't have a 1 800 number for recalls causing damage and in some

cases death !)

I think that religion brings out the worst in mankind. I'd like to think differently - but I can't.

Something is missing in the concept of being godly. I've spent time with some folks that say they have a 'personal relationship with Jesus" and they are some of the most abusive people you'll ever meet. Then on top of it all, they lord that relationship over those they meet, as if they are in some club that you'd never be accepted in. It's all very arcane and subject to opinion. A conversation with these folks makes one feel like you're swimming in oatmeal.

I think that religion brings out the worst in mankind. I'd like to think differently - but I can't. . . . either.

To be frank. . . I am not very Godly. But, here is the thing. . . . . I am not the one to have faith in. . . . to look to or to trust. . . I will let you down. People don't get to decide who is accepted. . . all are invited.

For me, what makes the Christian faith what I choose is Jesus. . . . not some pastor or person. . . . or fellowship. In my silly little life I have never met a person quite like Him. In history there isn't a person quite like Him. All recorded in that book. . . (I know). . . is the most amazing individual. Someone who understood the human condition and had such compassion and love.

He also claimed to be God in the flesh. He was either a liar or a nut. . . or He was telling the truth. Either way. . . I choose to believe in Him. . . that He is who He says. . . I have faith in that. Faith in Him.

He has yet to let me down. . . people usually do. . . even those who practice the faith. . . .

The bible is where I learn about Him. . . not what I worship. . . The warning to the Church at Ephesus was not that they had forsaken the book, but that they had left their first love. You get to know the person of Jesus reflected. . . if we Christians are doing what we are called do. . . I rarely see it happen. . . even in my own life.

The mark of a Christian is so simple. . . do good unto ALL men. . . . sadly . . . we often fail.

• Upvote 1

I never get tired if watching this,especially coming from a place in TWI that did not think

the cross was something to remember and all.

<embed src="http://www.tangle.com/flash/swf/flvplayer.swf" FlashVars="viewkey=152b5103d741aca61093" wmode="transparent" quality="high" width="330" height="270" name="tangle" align="middle" allowScriptAccess="always" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" pluginspage="http://www.macromedia.com/go/getflashplayer" /></embed>