GreaseSpot Cafe

Weird Mind Reader game.

RottieGrrrl

Can somebody figure out how this thing works? Mind Reader

You have to follow the instructions exactly. Pick a 2 digit number, eg 54, add the digits together,(9) then subtract from the 2 digit number (would equal 45 then.) Pick the corresponding symbol, CONCENTRATE, then click the box.

If you just look at a symbol without doing the number thing it won't work.

There has to be some trick to it, and sometimes it goofs, but it seems to be correct to much for it to be a coincidence.

I know there are some smart people here at GreaseSpot. How the heck does it work?

babyrott.gif

...It's hard to be humble when you own a Rottweiler...

No matter what 2-digit number you pick, when you subtract its digits, you end up with 9 or a multiple thereof.

If you look at 9, 18, etc., you will notice that their symbols are all the same.

And every time you do it, they rotate the symbols, so that 9 and its multiples (except 90, which is an impossible result) have the same symbol, but it is a different symbol than the last time.

I first saw this sort of thing on paper as a riddle. I remember going through each number and Steve is correct that pretty much everything ends up as 9 or a derivative of it.

There are some other tricks like this, such as the one where you end up with a Kangaroo in Columbia eating an Orange or something like that. I'm more of a card trick person myself though.

• 3 weeks later...

• Pick any one digit number
  • Multiply by 9
  • Add the digits
  • Subtract 5
  • Pick a letter that corresonds to the resulting number e.g. 1=A, 2=B...25 = Y, 26 = Z
  • Name a country that begins with that letter
  • Note the last letter of the country name, name an animal that starts with that letter
  • Note the last letter of the animal's name, pick a fruit that starts with that letter...

Oakspear icon_cool.gif

...goin' down to Rosedale, got my rider by my side...and I'm standin' at the crossroads...

[This message was edited by Oakspear on January 23, 2003 at 20:11.]

Yeah, whenever it comes down to a puzzle where you have to pick a country that starts with a "D", I always pick Djibouti or the Dominican Republic instead of Denmark. If you're ever party to that type of joke, make sure you bet the jokester money they can't figure out what you picked. (It's usually either "an elephant" or "gray" for the answer, if it's trying to force a "Denmark" response.)

Make sure you see the money before they reveal their "brilliance". icon_wink.gif;)-->