GreaseSpot Cafe

The devil did it

OldSkool

The Anglican church I currently go along to has, after five long years, finally received planning permission to build a new church on the same plot as one that was arsoned. The planning authority threw up all sorts of hurdles, from design, to noise, to access... and this church will be in a deprived area where there are few local facililties, so it will also function as a community centre - something the planners never provided.

How many mentions of the adversary? None. How many prayers that, if it be God's will that this church be built, then the planning problems will be sorted out? Many.

I've been sitting through an Alpha course with a friend who is just beginning to explore Christianity. He finds the discussions after the talks interesting (unlike the non-discussions after a PFAL session) and finds he learns more from those than from the given "lecture." People seem to drift in and out on these sessions - one week there, the next, absent. For what Alpha sees as the highlight of their course (the "holy spirit" day), my friend was the only non-believer there. Dunno where everyone else was, they all made excuses beforehand.

How many times did I hear: "The Adversary has tricked them out of the greatness of God's Word"? None. Just a genuine welcome next time the absentees came to a session.

If you don't focus on God or on Jesus, what do you focus on? "The Adversary." And, as we were taught, you become what you look at, focus on.

No wonder it was so hard to love God when we were fighting off fear of the adversary all the time.