GreaseSpot Cafe

Scripting

Twinky

Here I am with an old joint honours degree in computer systems and my professional subject. Computing skills were good at the time, but heck, I punched the cards myself to go into the big mainframe. (Do I hear some of you say, mainframe??) I learned to program in about 4 different languages.

And then I pursued the professional side of my degree, not the computing side.

Now a great job is in the cards, with a software company. First IV went well (where they were looking at people skills, ability to train others, and approach to meeting people). They are impressed with my professional background.

Second IV next week will test technical ability. In this job role I will need to tailor the software house's own software by scripting to take account of the target firm's own requirements.

The firm will obviously provide training on its own programs, software, training packages, etc, but it would be helpful for me to upskill and at least have an idea about scripting.

Can anyone here recommend online tutorials, training etc - FREE! - that I can practice with?

Currently I use Mozilla; I know some online tutorials use IE which I use only occasionally now.

Second IV next week will test technical ability. In this job role I will need to tailor the software house's own software by scripting to take account of the target firm's own requirements.

Can anyone here recommend online tutorials, training etc - FREE! - that I can practice with?

Currently I use Mozilla; I know some online tutorials use IE which I use only occasionally now.

What kind of scripting *nix (tcsh, bash, etc)? Windows? Java?

I think they have their own version of something or other. Guess that's a question I should have asked at the first IV but you know, you can't think of everything.

Recommendations, anyone, on something well used? For programming for a professional (legal) program, so will use databases to record strings of data, but not many math formulae - just adding/subtracting figures (to make bills) and working out tax. Maybe a few other percentages. Nothing scientific, highly technical, trig or stuff like that.

I think they have their own version of something or other. Guess that's a question I should have asked at the first IV but you know, you can't think of everything.

Recommendations, anyone, on something well used? For programming for a professional (legal) program, so will use databases to record strings of data, but not many math formulae - just adding/subtracting figures (to make bills) and working out tax. Maybe a few other percentages. Nothing scientific, highly technical, trig or stuff like that.

Oracle == powerful && expensive && fully SQL compliant

MySql == powerful && cheap ! fully SQL compliant

Postgres == powerful, free, fully SQL compliant

I'd go with Postgres