GreaseSpot Cafe

Switching over from phone line to cable question!

ChattyKathy

Next week I have scheduled work to be done to change me over from a phone modem hookup to Broadband hookup.

I will be having a cable modem installed for my computer.

I am computer ignorant and have a question.

I am under the assumption my system is slower in response to ones using DSL or Broadband (or such) because I am using a regular phone line as my dial up source.

Therefore once I am using a cable on line device it should speed up.

This is what I have, am I correct that this change will accomplish speed?

Microsoft Windows 98

Second Edition

4.10.2222.A

GenuineIntel

Pentium ® Processor

64.0MG RAM

System resources 58% free

C drive total space 19.0GB

with free space of 18.2GB

D drive total space 18.6GB

with free space of 18.0GB

The second part of my question is this. I have Norton AntiVirus 2003 with live updates. Will this be sufficient?

Do I need to mess with a firewall?

Kathy

Is it a Pentium 1,2,3 or 4?

IMO its the 64mb RAM that is slowing you down maybe John will elaborate. Its not that costly to get another 64mb or even add (2) 128mb sticks of dRAM. I have broadband and still had to increase my Ram 256mb because of sluggish chat time.

I don't need Norton with broadband modem and a router but I have it.

Oh I changed the screen name cause its just too much for yall to have to type. hehe

disway datway anyway but that way

[This message was edited by DATWAY on November 08, 2002 at 7:10.]

Datway,

Gosh am I observant, I didn't realize it was you. Cool beans!!!!!!

It is a Pentium 2. Meant to include that.

That was the question my hubby asked, am I going achieve what I am looking for with this cable gig. He will be very unhappy with me should I have this work done and it not be faster in response.

Not the money so much, but they are going to have to dig a trench in his perfectly manicured yard. (when we moved here no cable was available yet)

Thanks for your input, and no doubt John will have input as well. Loved your email the other night, just loved it.

Kathy

edited because to me did=dig I guess

[This message was edited by ChattyKathy on November 08, 2002 at 6:25.]

Chattsy -

The cable modem will absolutely speed up your internet experience.

As far as firewall software, yes, you should have it, unless you install a router. But you would only need to install a router (cost: about $60) if you are going to connect more than 1 computer to your cable modem.

Kathy: A router might not be a bad idea in any case. A router's internal "firewall" works by splitting the network into two distinct pieces, the outside/Internet/everybody piece and the inside/network/your computers piece. It handles all outgoing and incoming requests for data, automatically acting as a secure "mailman" for the data packets, passing them between the two networks. The beauty of it is that since the router separates the two networks, no one on the outside can see any of the computers on the inside!

You could have 1 computer behind that router or a million, and no one on the outside can see (or subsequently hack into) any of them. All traffic coming from your network appears to come from the router instead of any of the computers. The router keeps track of which internal computer made which request and seamlessly routes the incoming packets accordingly. All this takes place behind the scenes, so you don't even know it's happening.

Even better, the router itself is very secure from being hacked--most default to accepting configuration commands only from the "inside" computers. (There might be a time when a person would want to remote-manage their router, so you can set it up to accept commands from "outside", but most people never need to do this.)

Considering most personal firewall software programs cost $40-$50 anyway, and they must constantly run on your computer, taking up memory and processor time, I'd spend the extra ten bucks and put in a router even for one computer. It also gives you room to expand if you ever decide for a second computer.

Don't bother with wireless unless you are sure you're going to have extra computers in your house--then you might want to look into that. My home network is 3 computers, 2 of which are tied into my router via secure wireless cards. I can take my laptop into the back yard and post on GreaseSpot while my telescope takes pictures of the stars...very neat!

I would say get the firewall anyway. Plus if you get Zonealarm, the free version that is, that would save on the $$$$. And since many view Zonealarm to be the most reliable of all software firewalls (it can make your computer go into stealth mode; ie., make it look invisible to the outside) then that might solve your problem for you right there.

Zix, would a hardware based firewall like a router set your system into stealth mode, like the kind I mentioned via Zonealarm? And if it can, can some hacker instead hack into the router?

Prophet Emeritus of THE,

and Wandering CyberUU Hippie,

Garth P.

Garth, others, believe me, the router method as Zixar shared is much better than Zone Alarm. I have used both and have achieved an equal amount of security with the broadband router (not a hub, Cathy, there is a difference). Zone Alarm, Norton and other software firewall products are probably more versatile but why have another piece of software to gum up the works.

What I liked about getting rid of ZA and going with the router is I was able to just plug the dumb thing in and forget about it. When I test the security here: https://grc.com/x/ne.dll?bh0bkyd2

I get excellent results, near stealth. I just need something that does its job and leaves me alone, kind of like a keyboard.

Plus you can share the internet connection with out having to resort to using the lame Internet Connection Sharing software that is offered within Windows or any other Proxy type software.

Cathy - take the advice of DatWay poster and ged rid of all you memory and replace it with 256MB of ram. It's dirt cheap these days. It is the single most important thing you can do other than buy a new computer with Pentium 4 and XP.

The seconed most important thing you can do is to get a new graphics card. I am guessing that your current one is a dinosaur. (But please post what it is anyway. It can be found in Device Manager. They are easy to remove and install. (I bet a guy named Cliff would do it for you.)

Get a graphics card that is 32mb at the very least if you can even find those anymore. Try Best Buy. But a 64MB graphics card might even be within budget these days now that the 128's are becoming prevalent. (Those are awesome with P4 and modern equipment).

Finally - remove your 56k dial up modem. It is one less piece of hardware for Windows to deal with. Once again, very easy to remove. You are going to possible need a Windows 98 CD for some of this. Just keep it in the CD tray while you are doing some of these things until you are finished and back up and running.

Zixar- some people have all the toys. I want your telescope.

Best Buy has a router on sale this week for $29 after rebate. That's a no-brainer, y'all.

Garth: An outsider can only hack into the router if the owner has enabled remote management on the router. Otherwise, it cannot be targeted. You can use ZoneAlarm if you really want to, but it's really not necessary once you have the hardware firewall of the router. All computers behind the firewall are completely hidden from attackers on the Internet. (If you really want to know why, I'll explain it, but it gets kind of technical, and you know how long-winded I can get...)

Igotout is right, the great thing is that a router is really a set-and-forget security system. It doesn't take up any of your computer's resources like ZA or WinXP's ICF software firewalls.

John: Well, you can have a telescope just like mine, for a mere $3,000! I'd recommend something smaller if you're just starting out, though. But if you really want it, it's a 10-inch Meade LX200GPS Schmidt-Cassegrain with UHTC coatings. Meade has a special until the end of the year where you get $500 off the normal price, and and extra set of 6 Super Plossl eyepieces for another $99 (a great deal--wish they'd been offering it when I bought mine, oh well!)

Here's the link for it at the BEST scope store on the internet, Oceanside Photo & Telescope.

http://www.optcorp.com/cart/ProductDetail...._ProductID=1512

John: Telescopes magnify very small sections of the sky, so they're useless for watching meteors as they shoot all the way across.

Oh, but the first time you see Saturn through one... You'll never forget it.

Here's a smaller, portable scope, the Meade ETX-90 Maksutov-Cassegrain. You can also get the $99 eyepiece deal with it and the excellent UHTC coatings.

http://www.optcorp.com/cart/ProductDetail....PR_ProductID=40

I have this one too. It's nicely portable(aircraft carry-on size), and with the Autostar controller, it's computer-controllable. Superb optics, and you can set it up on a car hood out in the boonies when the clouds finally run away.

It's a fantastic hobby that can be enjoyed on any budget, from naked-eye to spending $600 on a single eyepiece! (Mmmmm...31mm Nagler...sigh!)

Start with the two major magazines: Sky and Telescope and Astronomy. Then look up your local astronomy club and go out to a star party. They love newbies, since it gives them a chance to talk about all their cool stuff!

Once you know the stars, you'll always know where you are...

Thanks Guys,

But are you sure you remembered who it was you were talking to when you posted?

Is is possible I do not have a graphics card, I do not see one listed in the Device Manager?

So it sounds like a cable modem will gain me speed but:

I should get a router, which provides that firewall needed

I should get 256MG of ram and replace what I have presently with this

I should get a new graphics card (heck not sure I have one, gosh I must have one ????)

I should remove my 56k dial up modem

Keep my Windows 98 CD in the tray while doing some (not all????) of the work

So which one of you will come help me with this project?

Can I just look in Zixar?s telescope instead, that seems so much easier than this project.

Thanks, and if you don?t hear from me for a couple weeks, well ya know I broke my computer.

Kathy

Steve,

Somehow I thought I had to have a video card. Felt like a dummy to say I couldn't find it in Device Manager.

I am going to Best Buy later on today and purchase the things yall suggested. Then I will be having that cable modem work done Wed. morning. I think I will wait till that work is done before I do anything else. Well naturally I don't want to remove my 56k dial up modem, or I would be lost. I will rethink this sentence as some work may need to be done prior I guess.

Hubby is pretty sharp with replacing and fixin things, if I am not comfortable with it all I have a work friend I will have come over and help me out.

Thanks again, well gotta do stuff, have been just checking in off and on this morning.

Ain't it one awesome day we have here today in Illinois? Just fab!

Kathy

One more question, well actually I can not promise that, but one more for this second.

If I remove my 56k dial up modem then I have no access except via Broadband correct? And if so what happens if the cable is not available for some reason. I could not get on line, but if I still had that phone dial up modem I could reroute it to my one remaining phone line correct? Gawd, for me to ask this means I am in serious need of a time away from my computer.

Kathy

In Windows 98 I would still recommend taking the thing out because of the lame way 98 handles IRQ's. Less is better with that Operating system. Simplify as much as possible. Do you really think you will need it? My experience with both Cable and DSL is that it does not "go out" that much. If it does it's not long before it is back. My advice is remove it and keep it in case you really, really need it that bad. If you are desperate you could always pop it back in or just go to the local library to check your email and such.

Cathy it is possible you have a video card built right into the motherboard. Or you may not be seeing it in Device manager. Try this instead:

To determine the video adapter

1. Right-click your computer desktop, and then click Properties.

2. On the Display Properties dialog, on the Settings tab, click Advanced.

3. On the Properties dialog for your video adapter, click the Adapter tab.

The video adapter should be displayed. The chip info can be found in the Adapter Information box.

Also try finding information here:

Click Start, click Run. In the Run window type msinfo32.exe and hit enter. This is your System Information window. Under Components click on display and see if it gives you the name there.

If you have onboard video it may have to be disabled in order for you to use a standard PCI graphics card.

The same is true for onboard sound but don't concern yourself with your sound at this point.

John R.

quote:
My experience with both Cable and DSL is that it does not "go out" that much. If it does it's not long before it is back. My advice is remove it and keep it in case you really, really need it that bad. If you are desperate you could always pop it back in or just go to the local library to check your email and such

John,

Ummm, do you know me or something? But see the library has to be open for this to work.

Okay I could survive without my computer for as long as it took to get the cable problem up and running again. (now Kathy repeat that over and over until you really believe it ).

Does this tell me what I have in a graphics card:

Intel Indeo Video 4.3 (lV41)

I went to Best Buy and now have everything, but will not take the graphics card out of plastic/box till I know I really needed it, based on your reply.

Gotta get dinner going.

Later,

Kathy

---right after my last post yesterday guess what I did:

I BROKE MY COMPUTER

Just had to have it rebuilt by someone. But he said it was not my fault, one of those Microsoft twlight zone things.

No time now, back later.

Oh by the way I do not need the graphics card I purchased, so thanks but don't need that answer now.

And guess what, I find out after having to be offline since yesterday that I am indeed sick when I can not talk to you guys.

Kathy

Okay I am fixin to be a female here. (don't get mad ladies, please)

I have been playing for a few mintues and find my added 256k makes a huge difference in response time. HUGE.

Now for the full confession, when I was at Best Buy yesterday I had gone there intending to upgrade my keyboard and monitor, both of which still had caveman (sorry caveman) stick man figures on them cause of being so old. Well I fell in love with a 17" flat screen, and guess what I am looking at right now. Ahhhhhh, to die for guys, just to die for.

But hubby just looked at me like what the heck, you never do things like that, whatever in the world made you decide to spend $200 more on that thing. Ummm, well ummm, what can I say.

So I am going to cancel going modem. I think I am good now, and then I can return that router and that graphics card and make hubby happy. hahahaha

Okay so I am a girl. What the he11.

Kathy

With what I just returned I nearly made up for the extra money on the monitor.

[This message was edited by ChattyKathy on November 10, 2002 at 12:44.]

Hey Kathy have fun its a much more enjoyable time with cable and a fast pc. You get to look at ALL the pictures now. And Im tellin NL that now I HAVE, to get the 42" PLASMA TV cause "Kathy got a flat screen for her puter and said it OK"

OK with you Kathy? Thanks

**disway datway anyway but that Way**

DATWAY

quote:
And Im tellin NL that now I HAVE, to get the 42" PLASMA TV cause "Kathy got a flat screen for her puter and said it OK"

OK with you Kathy? Thanks

Yep you go right ahead and tell Chris I said it was okay with me.

No lie this puppy is awesome. My eyes love looking at things, I had to find a really cool background cause the standard ones just paled on the computer. Have a really cool ocean scene that makes ya smell the salt it is so crisp and clear.

And I may someday do the cable but with the money I put out I am justing wanting not to spend anymore for a minute or so.

Plus no trench in the yard. Hubby is happy.

See ya, and give that lovely lady of yours a big ole hug and kiss for me.

Kathy

Cathy, don't worry, you are not alone. I am convinced that most women just do not appreciate computer hardware, bless your hearts. My wife is far more interested in a Longaberger basket than an awesome 21" Sony Trinitron monitor or the latest 128mb Graphics card. Her eyes kind of glass over when it comes to hardware as mine do when baskets are being discussed.

Anyway - Flat panels are nice...and expensive... Though more expensive, they are not as good as the tube monitors. But some day this could change.

Best monitor made is here but it is $2000:

24" Sony Trinitron

Second best is here and is a more realistic $800 (check out the resolutions on these) I settled for two of these side by side on my main system:

21" Sony Trinitron

Same can be said of the Plasma TV's I hear. Not as good as some other high end TV's yet more expensive. But you can't beat the space savings on flat products or their cool looks.

Cathy, some day when you go Cable yo will really notice a difference. IT is probably $50 a month. But consider this:

You will be ditching your current ISP service

You may be able to get rid of a phone line. Up to $20 per month.

So for perhaps $10 more per month you will get one of the fastest internet connections in the world. The time you save in your internet usage will add up to hundreds of hours eventually in productivity.

I have never seen anyone switch back to dial up once they have had a taste of high speed.

[This message was edited by igotout on November 10, 2002 at 22:59.]

Thanks John,

No doubt some day I will follow thru with the switch over.

I bought a Samsung 17" flat screen and it was almost 1/2 the cost of that Sony 21". I got a rebate, sign up for credit deal on it which took off some money to make it reasonable (or at least in my mind ).

BTW, you may remember that I will pretty much try anything whether I have a clue what I am doing or not, so that was how I

BROKE MY COMPUTER.

Kathy

Steve, stop that. I have a picture of a system that a guy put together that has 9, yes 9 - 21" monitors all side by side and on top, 3x3 in a wall in front of him.

He used 3 of these Matrox cards that provide triple monitor support:

http://www.matrox.com/mga/archive_story/oc...56mb_launch.cfm

http://www.motherboards.org/articlesd/hard...ews/1198_4.html

Let the drooling begin!!

John R.