GreaseSpot Cafe

Switching over from phone line to cable question!

ChattyKathy

I made a mistake at work yesterday and got on someone else?s PC that was cable access and the flying through web pages made me yearn again.

See my PC is so loaded with ftp files etc, that it is nearly as slow as my home PC with a phone dial up. And I don?t work on my PC much at work. My job is nearly exclusively done in the companies main frame. So I forget how quickly things can actually move along. (please don?t laugh but I actually work in computer operations, shhh, don?t tell my boss I have no clue)

But one of the things that discouraged me about the cable modem was where I read you had to have a networking card in order to use a router. It was just getting too complicated for my brain. Would software firewall protection be sufficient? It would seem to be much easier to install and less costly than the router option.

Hubby said, I could go back to the cable gig if I wanted to. He is such a sweetie.

Kathy

Chattsy -

Most newer computers already come with an Ethernet card, which is a NIC (network interface card).

If your puter doesn't have a NIC, then a USB port would be sufficient - I connected my sister-in-law's computer to a router, and she didn't have an ethernet card OR a USB port in it. I had a spare USB card that I installed in that machine, got a USB-to-Ethernet cable (10-base T) adapter, and voila! she was good to go.

The adapter was aabout $10 or so.

quote:
Originally posted by Steve!:

Chattsy -

Most newer computers already come with an Ethernet card, which is a NIC (network interface card).

If your puter doesn't have a NIC, then a USB port would be sufficient - I connected my sister-in-law's computer to a router, and she didn't have an ethernet card OR a USB port in it. I had a spare USB card that I installed in that machine, got a USB-to-Ethernet cable (10-base T) adapter, and voila! she was good to go.

The adapter was aabout $10 or so.

Network interface cards themselves can be had for $5-$10 on sale at BestBuy or CompUSA.

Steve,

Gosh what a view you have, I'm jealous (spell?) cause I have no view. I work in one of those raised floor computer rooms that has a keypad lock to even get into. NO view at all. ahhhh

Cool for you, ain't Chicago just beautiful?

So guys I am back on, no kidding I have it scheduled for 11/25. What a girl I am.

Then I will be quick as lightening like the one I am at work typing on now. This is not PC but one near my desk and this puppy is so fast it makes your head spin.

Thanks for you continued help.

Kathy

quote:
Originally posted by ChattyKathy:

So guys I am back on, no kidding I have it scheduled for 11/25. What a girl I am.

If you are getting a Cox cable connection, you might want to see if they have any special plans to make it cheaper.

For me, I get my digital cable tv, phone, and internet through them, along with HBO and Cinemax, and they give enough of a discount that I pay about $75 a month for all of that combined (excluding long distance and such.) Actually, I should look at my bills now that I won't have $500 phone bills anymore.

quote:

Mister P-Mosh,

And did your $500 monthly phone bills have anything to do with the new Mrs. Mister P-Mosh?

Kathy

Precisely. I'm fortunate to have a decent job, but yes, the high phone bills were because of her. They rarely got up to $500 exactly, but averaged between $200 and $400 of just LD charges.

quote:

Mister P-Mosh,

Yepper, it now begins for ya man.

Hey I am cable modem now, this sucker is flying around cyberspace. I am pumped!!!!!!!

Kathy

Now it begins for you too, at least as far as broadband is concerned. If you're interested in getting music, I use a program called KaZaA Lite. The full version of KaZaA is really bad, but the lite one doesn't put ads on your screen or put spyware on your hard drive.

quote:
Originally posted by Zixar:

WinMX is also good, but I agree with P-Mosh: stay away from KaZaA and go only with KaZaA Lite.

Does WinMX have the ability to download a file from multiple users yet? This is the only reason I use KaZaA Lite actually. I like having the ability to be able to speed things up by getting a piece from many different people.

Having started with Napster years ago, I got spoiled. There still has never been anything like it because so many people were on at once. You could find any song...I mean any song. It was incredible. I got a few gems before they were shut down. I have used Morpheus, Aimster and a few others and am currently on Kaza lite like ya'll.

(My 15 year old has 4,000 songs, 12 gigs worth).

At my workplace where a small group of us use DSL we have over 3,500 songs.

Someone told me that certain Newsgroups have some nice action too. Haven't checked it out yet.

I am looking for this obscure song. If you find it I would appreciate the help. I kinda liked the lyrics:

Steve Earl & the Dukes - Jerusalem

Now that you have broadband it is available for someone to connect to your PC with a product like PC Anywhere. The person can remotely work on your computer and check things out. The person actually sees your screen on theirs. They take control of your mouse too and literally operate your computer from theirs.

I use it all the time and its is pretty useful for troubleshooting purposes. XP has some of these capabilities built in but I have not tried them out yet.

John

You said

quote:
Now that you have broadband it is available for someone to connect to your PC with a product like PC Anywhere.

You do know that PCAnywhere works with dial-up as well, right?

I've been using it for a couple years with both dial-up and cable setups.

John,

First time I saw that happening someone in pc tech was wanting to fix something in my pc and as I sat and watched he moved things around in front of me, and he was on another floor in the building. It was so cool to watch, heehee.

And I think it would be a great idea for you to have control of my pc, that way I could call you real quick and go my dearest John I'm fixing to be stupid in post, hurry quick and take over my keyboard and stop me. LMAO........

BTW, this speed is almost making me dizzy. How did I live without it?

Kathy

edited to add this: John I have a problem, I am going to seek help at work today first, but if no answer can I call you sometime? Later, walking out the door now.

[This message was edited by ChattyKathy on November 27, 2002 at 5:25.]

Yeah but it is so slow... yeah it works but I swore off modems about three years ago. Got one but hate using it.

Even broadband to broadband is cumbersome but waaay better than dialup. Disadvantage is that IP address changes frequently on broadband. Modem is always the same phone number.

There are things that are faster but I have no experience with them. Maybe a T3 line or Terminal Server.

quote:
Originally posted by Mister P-Mosh:

quote:
Originally posted by Zixar:

WinMX is also good, but I agree with P-Mosh: stay away from KaZaA and go only with KaZaA Lite.

Does WinMX have the ability to download a file from multiple users yet? This is the only reason I use KaZaA Lite actually. I like having the ability to be able to speed things up by getting a piece from many different people.

Yes, WinMX does the multipoint downloading now.