GreaseSpot Cafe

TWI: The Illusion of Spiritual Growth

skyrider

Great Post, T-Bone.

Obergrown weeds, LOL.

I think for many of us here - the learning happened AFTER we left TWI - when we worked out "what it is, and what it is not."

Among other things, we here have learned to be wary. To "prove [test] all things."

And, hopefully, having been hurt, and having hurt many along the way, we have also learned how to treat people compassionately and avoid causing further hurt to others.

Soooo glad I'm out.

I just spend a few moments thinking about what sort of person I might have become had I still been in...not at all a pretty sight.

It was painful being cast out and M&A'd...but really, it was a big favor. I had no plans to leave voluntarily.

Even though those red flags were flying thicker and more vigorously than ever.

Them there weeds sure obscured the view.

yeah - i would agree - tried to say that in my post, about paying attention and being on guard.. .i guess i was thinking along academic lines in my post.. . maybe i could brag about having a masters in BS Detection now.

i think developing critical & creative thinking skills is a big deal - but also feel that's something you don't learn in school but through life's experiences.. .and in regards to ex-way folks, maybe for some it was the awakening of those skills that provided the impetus for them to leave.. .if I could name one idea that comes to mind that got me on the road out it was don't be afraid to question anything.

I'm thinking it was like that for a lot of folks. You start challenging one doctrine, belief, "principle", etc. - or something about an event, experience, relationship, person or situation just sticks out like a sore thumb, it just keeps eating at you - and if you have the ba11z to let it go unchecked - [i.e quit renewing your mind to it - oh gag me with a spoon why dontcha!].. .a chain reaction starts - the dominoes start falling over into each other - and lo & behold one day you back up and look at the fallen house of cards; and you go "what the he11 am i doing here - this place is just nuts! the bozos in charge are all sick & deranged!"

as to spiritual .. .intellectual .. .or some kind of growth - i will say this, my theology has been in a state of flux since I left TWI - and i also have a tendency to simplify things.. .i'm older now and don't care as much for detailed doctrinal arguments - i think i've settled into my own comfortable religion - comprised of the 2 great commandments [love God & neighbor] and the golden rule.. .heck, i think Grease Spot has been a BIG help for my spiritual growth!I have this funny little hunch that maybe I can catch a good glimpse of the spiritual.. .noble.. .profound matters of life by listening to someone with a totally different perspective than mine.

You have to be in the corps to do this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0VPcPCwK_G0

Wow, talk about enlightenment!

Go spaz suit dance dude!

SoCrates

If you do something like that it means you've been in the corps.

Don't underestimate the corps program. I think it could have eradicated the last smidgen of soul in even the hardest working man in show business - James Brown - dats riiiiight! the corps program is THAT good!