GreaseSpot Cafe

What do you play at a gig in a nursing home?

This is sort of for fun and sort of serious...

Hubby's band has a benefit gig next weekend at - of all places - a nursing home! His band plays mostly oldies rock & pop, some top 40, some R&B, and a little country.

Just jokingly we decided maybe they shouldn't play songs like "Knocking On Heaven's Door"... We also came up with some spoofs on some songs. Like "Taking Care of Business" got turned into "Taking Care of Bedpans"...

So, this being the sick bunch it is here at the Cafe, I thought we could have some fun with this...

I have afriend who does that from time to time and he plays alot of tunes from their era, Gershwin tunes, Cole Porter stuff, some rearranged things from the big bands and crooners like Sinatra --that type of stuff.

They also like singalongs of simple stuff "You are my sunshine my only sunshine" type songs --

and dance tunes from their era --some of those groups are dancin' fools --they have nothing else left to do...He tells me one old group believe it or not just loves Bob Marley ( Stir It Up, One Love, One Heart) so who knows...

yea I know--I'm no fun --i'll think up some sick stuff later

Are they playing for the nursing home residents, or is the benefit being presented to a wider audience to raise money for the nursing home?

If it's the former, they might want to keep in mind that the majority of residents will be in their 70s and 80s. I doubt his band knows many 1940s and 50s hits, but perhaps they could choose songs from their repertoire that are upbeat and sorta cheery. If they happen to know any later renditions of some really old songs, those would be good. Country and easy-listening R&B might be another safe bet.

Now, if this were 20 years from now, a lot of my friends and I would be up for the Beatles and Rolling Stones. Mathman's band is just a little ahead of its time. icon_smile.gif:)-->

Oh, and tell them not to be offended if some of their audience is napping. Some residents will be into it and enjoy the contact with younger people. Others will be taken there in an attempt to get them involved in an activity, but they'll snooze through most of it. It just comes with the territory.

I think those elderly people would be thrilled to be entertained at ALL! People with restricted mobility are like that. I was in a ministry band and we got to play in a state prison. Everybody in the prison was there. This guy in the back looked like a militant Mr, Clean, but he was there. Probably not their musical cup of tea but they were there.

I even read once that Keith Richards got busted for possession of heroin in Canada in 1977. His "sentence" was for the Stones to play a free gig in Canada in 1979 for charity. The article I read said there was a blind 80 yr old nun in attendance who said it wasn't her kind of music, but she would come hear them again.

You could probably get away with playing that song "Old and in the Way".