GreaseSpot Cafe

One small step.....

waysider

Neil Armstrong spend most of his years after the moon walk trying to defend what he said, which was inane the way he said it. Check out for yourself if you can hear him say what he says he thought he said, but I don't think he said it.

small step or a small step

The discrepancy in question here is whether he said, "One small step for Man, one giant leap for Mankind" ...or.... "One small step for a man, one giant leap for Mankind". Personally, I don't think he actually uttered the "a" but I believe that is what he was implying. If he had uttered the first statement verbatim, he would have been saying something that contradicts itself.

Edited by waysider

small step or a small step

It's interesting that now comes this study ( in 09) some 40 years after Armstrong coined his famous line.

This link has the 2009 research video for comparison as well as the audio taken from the NASA footage.

When you listen to the 09 video there is a faint phonetic sound that does seem as though Armstrong is saying one small step for a man.