GreaseSpot Cafe

John N. Darby

OldSkool

To be clear I am going into this study assuming from previous studies that Darby was the main catalyst for many modern day fundamentalist/occultic doctrines that eventuall spawned degree mills and led to hucksters like victor paul wierwille, with wierwille being pretty much a minion of more influential people in this movement. We shall see if my assumptions remain correct and what changes based on objective evidence.

I have been studying John Nelson Darby for some time now and have decided to kick my studies up a notch. So while searching around the internet this morning I came across a book that so far has proven to be the most exhaustive. To be clear where my position is at the moment:

A) I no longer believe in any form of dispensationalism/administrations in scripture.

B) I still do believe in a pre-trib rapture based on 1 Corinthian 15 and 2 Thessalonians 2 being quite clear on the subject.

We shall see where I land on point B after I get through this book, which is titled:

A Critical Examination of the Ecclesiology of John Nelson Darby By Matthew Austin Clarke and it is:

A thesis submitted to the University of Gloucestershire in accordance with the requirements of the degree of Doctor of Philosophy in the Faculty of Humanities. (so it is scholarly in nature)

https://eprints.glos.ac.uk/3192/1/545745_Redacted.pdf

Edited by OldSkool
  • Like 1

The main catalyst for fundamentalism would be the invention of the printing press I would think. A good way to learn what the scriptures say. It's what the scriptures don't say or interpreted as, is what many have tried to fill in the perceived blanks, causing many divisions or doctrines. A strictly black and white doctrine can be limiting.

11 hours ago, cman said:

The main catalyst for fundamentalism would be the invention of the printing press I would think.

Never gave that too much thought. Gotta say when fiction is printed as fact and those lies become widely distributed and believed...yeah. Definately part of the mix as oppsed to say cyclical letters that had key markings/wax seals to prove their authenticity. Interesting point.

25 minutes ago, cman said:

There are two main covenants clearly in the scripture, the old and the new.

The revelation of Jesus Christ is something a lot more personal than some kind of world event.

Yes! Thats what led me to this study because it seems that Darby's dispensational intrepretation and his rewite of the Bible lends itself towards burying that main line of demarcation you mention: old vs new covenants. You are so very correct on the revelation of Jesus Christ being a lot more personal than some world event. At this point I feel dispensationalism seperates and reassigns sections of scriptire to groups that it's not addressed instead of addressing mankind along the tenets of the old and new covenants with Jesus ratification of the new covenant in his own blood being that line of demarcation between the two.

Edited by OldSkool

14 hours ago, cman said:

The main catalyst for fundamentalism would be the invention of the printing press I would think

3 hours ago, OldSkool said:

Gotta say when fiction is printed as fact and those lies become widely distributed and believed...yeah

I will revise my statement somewhat. While the printing press could contribute widely to fundamentalism, it wasnt an issue in 1455 with the Gutenburg Bible being the first newly printed Bible. I guess the same holds true with a hammer..lame illustration but it communicates...whether you crack some over the head with a hammer, its unintended use --- or us it for its intended purpose of driving nails depends largely on the designs of the one using the tool. 

Darby advocated an unique doctrine known as the 'ruin of the church', by which he meant
that the visible unity of the church had been permanently lost and there were no
longer any bodies in existence which could claim to be true churches. This crisis
ecc1esiology sets his views apart from all other ecclesiologies and this in itself is a
reason why Darby's ecc1esiology needs to be re-visited by scholars. --- A Critical Examination of the Ecclesiology of John Nelson Darby By Matthew Austin Clarke page 35

So is Darby where wierwille got the idea that the church was in ruins? If the true Church, the body of Christ is in ruins then it implies that Jesus Christ let it happen as the head of the Body -- an obvious fallacy but one that supports an absent Christ and makes room for hucksters like wierwille to come marching in to straighten it all out. Its really the Hegellian Dialectic in play. Present a manufactured or fake crisis, then present the manufactured or intended outcome to said false crisis.

• Like 1