GreaseSpot Cafe

O'Malley's Tale

markomalley

I just took a while and went through some of the threads in this forum and in the archives. I AM SO THANKFUL I DIDN'T HAVE TO GO THROUGH WHAT SO MANY OF YOU DID. Wow! (the word, not the acronym).

Here's the abridged version for me:

I was in for about 5 years during the 80s. Got involved in the ministry during a particularly low part of my life (doesn't that sound familiar) while stationed over in Germany. Took the foundational and intermediate classes while stationed over there. Had a small but enjoyable multi-national twig; we had association with both Rev Schneider's crowd and with the HQ crowd (because there were a good portion of military folk over there).

Came back to the states and found a twig in So Illinois area. Good group -- we had a whole lot of fun there. Really only saw one total a$$hole in the area -- Rico Magnelli was WoW in the area during his apprentice year. Really & truly not much to say about it. As with many folks, I devoted the majority of my life to the things of TWI--work kept me in housing and in food and in beer.

I don't know the degree of seriousness that any of us gave to the teachings of LCM. I don't think that any of us there were all wrapped up in what he said; as was pointed out by many folks, his degree of intensity and his degree of arrogance turned the majority of us off in that area. But...when you have "the truth," then there really isn't anyplace else to go. I know all of us longed for the good old days when "Dr" was in charge. We prayed that LCM would grow into his role. (foolish, wasn't it)

Then the loyalty letter came out. Many of us decided to go our own way at that time. Co-incidentally, I had orders to get stationed in Turkey, of all places. So, when I left, I decided to put it all on hold and let it sort itself out. In the words of the Pharisee Gamaliel:

quote:

Acts 5:

34 Then stood there up one in the council, a Pharisee, named Gamaliel, a doctor of the law, had in reputation among all the people, and commanded to put the apostles forth a little space;

35 And said unto them, Ye men of Israel, take heed to yourselves what ye intend to do as touching these men.

36 For before these days rose up Theudas, boasting himself to be somebody; to whom a number of men, about four hundred, joined themselves: who was slain; and all, as many as obeyed him, were scattered, and brought to nought.

37 After this man rose up Judas of Galilee in the days of the taxing, and drew away much people after him: he also perished; and all, even as many as obeyed him, were dispersed.

38 And now I say unto you, Refrain from these men, and let them alone: for if this counsel or this work be of men, it will come to nought:

39 But if it be of God, ye cannot overthrow it; lest haply ye be found even to fight against God.

So I figured that the best thing to do was to wait and see...

1991 - back in the states. Moved to California (Riverside area). I was fortunate to have found an "offshoot" group. But, I (and my new...at the time...wife) never were accepted into that group, so we stopped going (what got me in Illinois and in Germnay was the love and acceptance shared with the members of the group). So I just abandoned it all for several years.

So, what about now.

Well, this is where it gets interesting. The first thing I had to think about was trinitarianism. I looked at the groups that supported Arianism. What were they? Jehovah's Witnesses, the remnants of TWI, and some small offshoot groups. I had ZERO interest in getting involved with some mind control cult...so scratch the JW and scratch TWI (which, even before Waydale and GS, I realized had gone totally off the deep end). Tried an offshoot -- again, no interest (the...is that all there is? scenario comes to mind -- also, I'd been there, done that, and was really turned off). Non-Christian religions also had no interest for me. So, I had to go back and search the scriptures. Could I accept the Trinity concept? Although I don't want to get into a doctrinal debate, for me, I decided that I could.

How is that? Well, I had to shake off the remainder of TWI's teachings. I had to examine them objectively (see Acts 5, above), and recognize that there were too many holes in their arguments. Too many cases of...well, it says this, but really MEANS this...

I also rejected out of hand the fundamentalist crowd. I had dealt with too many cheshire cat smiles from those folks to want any association with them. (No offense to any baptists, nazarenes, or other fundamentalists in this group)

So, I finally found someplace...But, that's a subject for an entirely different thread.

BTW, for the record...Mark O'Malley is my on-line pseudonym. I like to maintain my privacy and...as has been posted, there is little or no privacy out there for those who use their real names.

hello mr. o'malley and thanks for your post

quote:
I know all of us longed for the good old days when "Dr" was in charge.
not all of us.... big icon_wink.gif;)--> i hear what you're saying

as far as the trinity or not.... i could care less how it works out in the long run.... icon_smile.gif:)-->

again, thanks for posting

?

• Upvote 1

God

Hi Mark

That did bless me thanks

And about trinity in some Churches I like to visit other Churches but I never bring up trinity when I visit

I just try to love them were they are and I never had to deal with it

Most of them are not ready to think about it one way or another

But If ever I Am ask I would tell them what I believe and tell them to believe what they want but by the time

I would be like a brother to them and they would be like a brother or sister to me

Now I am not saying go to a Church just trying to share with you how I deal with Churches

I believe the Way push their doctrines but I believe its better to love people into change

with love Roy
  • Upvote 1

God

Hi All

As we grow in love we learn to overlook our past and move on and that is why it blesses me to read stories of how we over came our past

Because when one writes their story like the one Mark wrote with love it makes it easier for him to understand others shortcoming in life

Now I write this to think all the ones that have put their lifes in the open like Mark and many other have

Thank you Mark and I send thanks to all the others that have wrote their stories here with love

with love Roy
  • Upvote 1