GreaseSpot Cafe

Bands Reunited - VH1

jezusfreaky

Have you guys seen this show??? It's a hoot! The premise is that some dude from VH1 (whose name escapes me now) tracks down former members of famous rock bands from the '80's and reunites them for a one night only concert.

Last weeks was Dramarama...they all had ''normal'' jobs-one guy was in Wayne, NJ driving a front end loader for a living, the rest still live in LA. The band started out in Wayne, btw.

Quite a reminder of how fame can fade and how fast all those millions could vanish.

Kinda cool to see the bands I use to listen to as a teenager could still jam 20 years after the breakup.

Anyone have a band they would like to see play again just once?

Love y'all,

-Colleen

GO VOLS!!

''...show a little faith, there's magic in the night, you ain't a beauty, but hey, you're alright, oh, and that's alright with me...''

-Bruce Springsteen

I saw the Dramarama reunion, they were so

good ! Remarkable how they picked up right where they left off all those years ago.

My fave band, The Yardbirds can never reunite

since Keith Relf is dead and the others are all to famous any way, not as exciting as pulling someone out of there job at the Quicky Mart.

Maybe we can raise Relf from the dead icon_eek.gif

What are Dreja, McCarty and Samwell-Smith doing? I didn't realize that they were famous these days. (Of course Beck, Clapton and Paige are famous and NOT driving front-end loaders icon_biggrin.gif:D-->)

In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice...but in practice there is

Oakspear icon_cool.gif

I was in time warp when I made that post,

remembering old issues of rollingstone magazine.

I thought they all had moved on to

supergroupdom except for Keith. Now its been about 40 years! I'll do a google search and see what I can dig up. ( no pun intended ! )

Okay, I found two great websites for Yardbirds fans!

they are slow loading but worth the wait .

And if you live anywhere near Twickenham you can go see them ( todays version of them ) this week.

www.yardbirds.us

www.theyardbirds.com

[This message was edited by simpatico on February 03, 2004 at 14:36.]

[This message was edited by simpatico on February 03, 2004 at 14:39.]

Thanks for the links...I'm looking forward to hearing that album, Birdland. It will be interesting to hear some of the guest artists, like Joe Satriani performing Yardbirds classics.

While visiting my family in NY this past November, we were watching "American Dream" where one of the main characters is dating a guy in a rock band. While they are talking backstage, you hear the unmistakable harpsichord intro to "For Your Love" and see in the background a group that is supposed to be The Yardbirds.

Later in the show at an autograph session a fan asks one of the band members where "Mr. Clapton" is, and is told that he has been replaced by Jeff Beck, and that they are sure that Mr. Beck will do just fine.

In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice...but in practice there is

Oakspear icon_cool.gif

Could that have been Joe Satriani playing the guitar intro for the official yardbirds site??

I was always a Beck fan myself.

I have to take advantage of this rare oportunity to boast (so few people know or care who the Yardbirds are)

that I did see the Yardbirds play in my home town of Annapolis Md. in 1964 or 65. It was so strange that they even came there. I remember that I had just recently purchased the album called Rave Up.

sorry... I... can't... resist... must... talk about... this... they were incredible! it was the first time I'd ever gone out to see any live music in my life, after all I was only 13.

Whoever put on the show must have gotten the high school cheerleaders to be go-go dancers

up on scaffolding, aka Hulabaloo and Shindig.

Jeff Beck took one hand away from his guitar long enough to trace a big square in the air and point to the go-go girls, they were oh so wrong for that show.... I will really make myself stop now.

How about fast forwarding about 30 years.

I'd love to see the Pixies get together again

That was a brilliant group.

icon_cool.gif

Talk away! I envy you having seen the Y-birds! I was a little too young to have seen them live (I was born in '58) but became a fan after learning that Aerosmith's Train Kept A Rollin' was a Yardbirds cover (1975?).

When I was a deejay in the late 80's and early 90's I played a lot of Yardbirds on a blues show that I produced called Shades of Blue: I'd play an old blues standard, say "You Need Love" done by Muddy Waters back to back with Zep's "Whole Lotta Love" (same song basically). The Yardbirds provided a lot of fuel for these back-to-back versions.

Didn't the surviving non-famous 'birds get together in the 80's under a different name? I have a vague memory of something or other...

Oakspear icon_cool.gif

Box of Frogs was the name of the group. I have a tape of theirs called Strange Land.I just dug it out of the basement. It may be the only record they made, or perhaps the first of two ?

The record was produced by Paul Samwell-Smith who also played base and sang backup vocals

Jim McCarty, Cris Dreja, all present and accounted for, Jimmy Page plays on one song

only "Asylum" otherwise they have a bunch of different lead guitar players. All vocals are a guy named John Fiddler.

Now I must confess I only know all this because I'm reading the tape jacket (The only band I could ever name completely was the Beatles).

I never loved this record. Its 80s and you can hear that 80s pop sound through out, with

teasers of Yardbird art school brilliance.

Its really hard to describe. I loved the old blues covers best.

Did you ever see the movie Blow Up ? That has the famous Yardbirds scene where Jeff Beck

smashes the guitar and tosses it into the audiance. Good classic film of the period.

Anybody remember Duran Duran??? (with all the original band members) How 'bout the Cure, or Thompson Twins, or the original Genesis lineup, or Naked Eyes, or Tears for Fears, or the Hooters, or Southside Johnny ad the Asbury Jukes???

Love y'all,

-Colleen

GO VOLS!!

''...show a little faith, there's magic in the night, you ain't a beauty, but hey, you're alright, oh, and that's alright with me...''

-Bruce Springsteen

Colleen -- Are you a product of the '80's or what?

I agree, a reunion with all the members of D2 would be worth the price of admission. Roger Taylor kind of flew over the cuckoo's nest, didn't he? There's some interviews with him on the web where he says he just kind of went off, got married, had a bunch of kids and never left the house, or so it sounds.

I believe TFF is still together - they did a UK album not too long ago.

Remember OMD? I would love to see them get together again!

Ditto for Talking Heads.

VH1 did fulfill one fantasy - seeing A Flock of Seagulls get back together was wonderful! I stayed up waaayyyy past my beddy-bye time for that one!

I think Morrisey needs to get back together...

HA!

Chas...

Totally 80's...down to my acid wash jeans and leg warmers! (Ewwwwwwwwwwww!!!)

I do remember OMD...that would be great! Roger Taylor was my favorite Duran, could you please post a link to the interviews you speak of? I would love to see what he looks like now!

Didn't see the Flock episode, I'll have to wait til they rerun it I guess...icon_frown.gif:(-->

Still listen to my Bon Jovi (when he still had all that gorgeous hair!)

Any other 80's children???

Love y'all,

-Colleen

GO VOLS!!

-Bruce Springsteen

quote:
Oakspear, did those guys play in Billy Falcons band ? The cobwebs in my brain are trying to make a link there.
Yes they did. If I remember correctly, Falcon's bass player went off to play in Foreigner and was replaced by Gene (maybe his last name was Boccio?). Gene was already in TWI at that time and signed up Mike Visaggio, the keyboard player and Billy Milne, the drummer for PFAL. My girlfriend at the time was also in that class, so I got to know Mike and Billy pretty well. When I left NY in 1980 the whole band except Falcone were active in TWI. Falcone and his original band went to the same Catholic church that I did. His guitarist and I were classmates at the associated Catholic grade school.

Oakspear icon_cool.gif

We need Sunesis to chime in about now,

Sunesis I bet you know all these folks!

I think I met those guys at HQ in 83, may have been the rock, or they were just at HQ for some reason. I know the date because that was when I moved to NY. And by then Billy was active again for a few years. If you were an artist, Way people just wouldn't give you an inch!

Even though artistic license requires at least

a mile !!!anim-smile.gif

jezusfreaky, Bands reunited seem to be focused on the 80s quite a bit so you may get to see all those bands play again after all.

icon_smile.gif:)-->

I'd love to see the pretenders again.

Wowzers Huggy (icon_wink.gif;)-->)

I didn't know that about the Jukes. Too cool. My uncle had a buddy who used to play with Springsteen before he left Freehold.

Simpatico, I would love to see the Pretenders again too, Christie Hynde is a genius. I love the song she did back in the day about her child...the name escapes me now, but it was a very sweet song.

I would love to hear Peter Gabriel sing ''Solsbury Hill'' again, just once. How 'bout the original Yes members? The Cars? The Fixx? Atlantic Starr?

Love y'all,

-Colleen

GO VOLS!!

-Bruce Springsteen