GreaseSpot Cafe

Virus Alert

Guest Administrator

Guest Admin

I received an email this morning with a subject line of "Way Documents". It contains the Klez virus.

I am doing some research on its origination. My suspicion is that it was sent maliciously since the Klez virus automatically picks a subject line and this one was not one of the ones it usually picks.

The size is around 122k.

So be aware.

i just received one from "shazdancer" (i know it's not her) titled "Please try again"

at least i think it's what it is. yahoo won't let it come in. the email is 123k but completely blank -- i guess cause of yahoo protection

this is the same thing that happened when i got one that said it was from suzie or george, i forget

shaz, no one ripped off your name

What happens is: this virus "spoofs" a "from" email address from the address book of the host computer.

In other words, someone that has you in his/her address list has the virus, which sent out emails with your e-addy as the "from".

To help prevent someone from hacking into your computer and stealing your addresses, username and password --

Download "Tiny personal firewall"

It is free.

You can do it at:

http://download.com.com/3000-2092-6313778.html?tag=lst-0-1

You will get a message that will alert you when someone is trying to get in to your pc and you say "permit" or "deny"

(Wait 'till you see how many times information will be on its way out of your pc!! Then hit deny, unless of course it is like your e-mail company or something you wish to permit then hit that button.)

Dot Matrix

[This message was edited by Dot Matrix on July 01, 2002 at 15:11.]

Guest Admin

Steve is correct in that it spoofs a name in your address list and then sends it to another name in your list.

My concern is that the title or subject line said, "Way Documents"

The origination was in Italy. Actually from Sicily. I am checking my bed each night now for horse heads

I use a firewall that is free (Zone Alarm)

and each time someone or something tries to 'get in' the alarm goes off.

Paw, someone also tried to hack me from Italy a few days ago, but the WhoIs feature of my firewall gave away the identity and location of the hacker.....hopefully their ISP burned them

Protection, kids......its gotta be protection*

*only kidding about the VPW line

safe surfing fer sure

from the poster formerly known as 'firebarrier'

Get a router with hardware firewall protection built in. They are cheap these days. Better than software firewalls IMO. Then get Norton or McAffee virus scanning software which scans incoming AND outgoing emails if you are using something such as Outlook Express or Outlook.

Want to see how secure your online connectivity is? Go here:

Shields Up

Then click on Test My Shields.

John R.