GreaseSpot Cafe

Editing Time Limit

Guest Administrator

satori,

Thanks for you response.

1. Yes, there are plenty of irritations. This thing about edits/deletes seems to be a recurring theme lately. I'm not saying it is more or less irritating than any number of other things. Just that it's being discussed right now. And remedies are being offered. That doesn't mean every little annoyance can be fixed. But maybe this one can.

2. That does seem to be the basic explanation, if I'm understanding what I read. What did I skip?

3&4. I don't know if I'm exaggerating or not. That's what I understand the complaint to be. That too many posts are being edited/deleted. Do you have a different understanding of what is being said?

5. I know that to you it hasn't been disruptive. But to others it has, judging from the many, many posts on this topic over the course of three or four threads. I think I was specific on other threads about the times that it was disruptive to me. That's not to say heaven and earth need to move to accommodate me. But since the subject came up, I added my two cents.

As far as your last paragraph, I don't disagree with you. I'm in complete agreement as far as people doing what they need to do in order to protect themselves. But I also think that if people used more discretion about when to edit/delete, this wouldn't even be an issue. Unless I'm missing something. Am I?

[This message was edited by laleo on June 17, 2002 at 19:01.]

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

laleo,

The explanation for editing/deleting is not "I can, so there!" It is "If I need to, please forbear." If there is any arrogance here, it is on the part of a few who would dictate to the rest of us with a certain finality.

It seems as if your assessment is based on the complaints of others. It's my perception that 80% of the noise is coming from 20% of those with opinions, leading to an exaggerated perception of the "problem."

I agree, posters could be better off thinking about their potential vulnerability before wearing their hearts on their sleeve. But doesn't that translate into posters being too defensive or fearful to post.

I think I'd rather people felt willing to take a few "risks," and give them an out if they need it, than require them to be careful and cagey.

Does anyone think the Ten Commandments would have been as impressive if God had tacked them up on a bulletin board?

Why not? It would have saved Him a lot of effort, to say nothing of the electric bill. Didn't God know about bulletin boards? I don't think it was that.

As CoolWaters has pointed out, a bulletin board is as informal and temporary a medium as you can get. If everything here were meant to be "written in stone," we'd call Grease Spot a "tablet," not a bulletin board.

Now there is the importance of continuity in a dialog, a conversation, a "forum." Even on a "bulletin board." And there is something to be said for allowing the participants to follow their own discretion.

99.9% of the time we've enjoyed the luxury of both without enforcing an edit policy.

Okay. Here's what I think. (Pawtucket, are you taking notes?) Maybe we can resolve this thing without Pawtucket having to take sides.

Let's forget the time limits. At least for now. Everybody who has a point has made it. Unless something more needs to be said, in which case, speak up. Let's see what happens. If people keep deleting/editing their posts to the point of distraction, maybe revisit the issue in a month. But for now, everyone knows everybody else's preferences when it comes to editing/deleting so with all this new information about what drives each of us crazy, maybe posters will be more likely to restrain themselves. Plus with all these other gizmos, like private forums, people can better choose who to share personal information with. So maybe we don't need time limits to preserve anyone's sanity. Can we get by without them? Or am I in a dream?

Hope, Grizzy, Rocky, Goey, Wacky, Ginger, excathedra, satori, what do you think?

At the moment, I couldn't care less about edits. It's the font in my reply window that's driving me nuts. How do I change it?

laleo,

Sounds like a plan to me.

If you are running Internet Explorer, go to Tools, Internet Options, Fonts, and select a "plain text" font you like. You won't find many choices.

You should get a preview of them. The change may not take place until you have either shut and re-opened your browser, or re-booted.

Not sure.

Guess it depends on one looks at things, at the time of this post there are 54% for some time limits and 46% against.

But. Deleters beware, your words more than likely will reappear if you choose to pick fights and make condescending or toxic comments to others and then try to pull them after they have been replied to.

This is a case where there is no right or wrong, just opinions and they are arrived at from different points of view. I was going to place a different *hypothetical* situation for Satori…………….but a truce sounds good.

Paw just asked opinions and he got some…………. Those opinions being *poles apart* sure isn’t a shock to me……..

Grizzy COLOR>SIZE>

It's not so much a truce I'm looking for, especially if it's a hostile one. I'm just wondering if this new forum doesn't provide enough features so that we can bypass the problem with just a little extra consideration on both sides. I haven't noticed too many deletions lately. Have you? It seems to me that some people are making an extra effort to accommodate others, like apologizing for their insulting comments rather than erasing them after the damage has already been done.

We aren't really poles apart, I don't think. We've come to different conclusions about the solution, but just about everyone agrees that they prefer an uninterrupted dialogue. And accountability. Let's see if we can accomplish that yet still provide a safety net for those who post with more comfort knowing they have control over their edit features.

You're right. Slightly more people have voted for time limits of some sort. So you're in the majority. I'm fine with time limits too -- generous ones. The reason I'm proposing no time limits (for now) is in hopes that the reasons people gave for wanting time limits can be satisfied without resorting to "rules."

If you're angry, please don't agree to a truce for my benefit, although I appreciate that you're willing to consider it. I'd really like to see a solution that everyone can live with.

here it LISTS your edits (it doesn't just change the time like the old place) so it would look something like

[this message was edited by gladys kravitz on July 4, 2002 at 1:32]

[this message was edited by gladys kravitz on July 7, 2002 at 2:32]

[this message was edited by gladys kravitz on July 10, 2002 at 3:32]

[this message was edited by gladys kravitz on July 13, 2002 at 4:32]

[this message was edited by gladys kravitz on July 16, 2002 at 5:32]

[this message was edited by gladys kravitz on July 19, 2002 at 6:32]

[this message was edited by gladys kravitz on July 22, 2002 at 7:32]

how embarrassing

Doesn't matter much to me anymore.

I already know what I'm going to do about it. Have as much time to edit as needed. Most of us know the posters who change/delete their posts on a regular basis. If I find the need to respond, I'll copy their original post. If I don't need to respond, I won't (respond OR copy).

It's just one extra step in writing a reply, but it makes the discussion/argument over editing time limits unnecessary.

Hope R. color>size>face>

wonder what happened to my icon??? Nevermind

[This message was edited by Hope R. on June 18, 2002 at 7:45.]

Believe me, I know how hard it is to overlook the (humorous?) digs and insults, especially when I'm trying to make a few concessions for other people's benefit. I know you're trying, too.

Kinda makes me wonder why I involve myself in this stuff. I think you've stated your case well in support of time-limits, and made some good practical suggestions to help with some of these hostile interactions.

Thank you.

I appreciate your mediation and negotiation skills. I hope others do as well.

We haven't heard back from everyone who participated on this thread but if Paw finds your suggested trial period agreeable, I also think it would work. If someone should delete a few key posts however, it would not be a sign of failure. It would all depend on why. As Hope reiterates, other posters have options too.

Nothing will have changed since the former location did not have edit limits.

A hundred-thousand posts on ezboard suggests a modicum of success. While there is always room for improvement, the status quo is not always a bad thing.

Guest Admin

I think laleo's idea is a good one. Currently, there are NO time limits on editing. I will keep it that way. And address it in the future if necessary.

Hope said,

quote:
There are opinions here that range from 10 minutes to infinity!

I just want to clarify that I am not suggesting a 10 minute limit!

I said,

quote:
Just give me my 10 minutes and do what you want, Paw.

No limit is fine with me!

Edited for trying to figure out how the quote thingy works...

(since the editing topic is settled....)

I know we had 100,000 posts on the EZBoard GS. Any idea how many HITS there were? I would guess somewhere between 300k & 400k. Every time I looked at a thread, there were at least three times the hits are there were posts.

Hope R. color>size>face>

Laleo, your points are well articulated and very good. You are right about the Private option...makes things simpler, imo, as that information never gets out to the open board...at least not what I've seen.

Personally, after my last deleting frenzy, I'm not going to delete anymore...I don't think... ...and I have learned to be more sure of what I post. But I do support the right of others to do what they will with their own words. As has been pointed out, the only reflection of deleting/editing inappropriately is on the person doing so...not those responding.

Good job, Laleo!

37cef360.jpgThe current mood of CoolWaters@cox.net a</p>