GreaseSpot Cafe

Forum or Agin' 'Em?

This probably comes down to more work for Pawtucket, but I'll suggest it anyway.

That suggestion is to return to some form of the status quo for this new location: multiple forums.

The America Defends Forum was a great place for the Grease Spot militia to hang out, and occasionally tar and feather peaceniks. We could vent about September 11 without bringing those topics to the general group.

One such example was the execution of Danny Pearl. I'm glad I saw it. It confirms what I already knew and gives me the conviction to support extreme measures against these enemies.

But the thought of that sick video being linked to the Open Forum is wrong.

The "Table for Two" may be a different matter, since the Open Forum did seem to cross over. I would still like to see a Forum that attracted more eclectic interests and conversation but on general topics.

There are hunters and fishermen among us. One forum might be called "The Outback." OK that's been used to death, but something like that.

If this community is going to grow and develop, it needs to combine focus with diversity.

About The Way is pretty well covered.

The Doctrinal Forum is very successful.

I have a special place in my heart for the Soap Opera Forum, of course, though it hasn't had a fresh entry in lo these many months. (What's wrong with us?)

Give a Forum the right name and description - if you build it, they will come.

Now this isn't all on Pawtucket's shoulders. He's done plenty already. But he's eager to hear suggestions.

Geocities separates its "communities" like neighborhoods. I don't know a lot about it, but most everybody has a choice of neighborhoods where they feel comfortable.

I enjoy hanging out with the Ronald Reagan group when it comes to politics, but with more "progressive" types when it comes to arts and culture.

I hang with the atheists and agnostics and/or "new-agers" respecting religious matters, though I'm not really one of those.

So while "Open" makes a great catch-all, I wonder if there shouldn't be at least a few alternatives for the various corner tables where smaller gatherings could highlight their favorite discussions.

"Nickelodean" might be a good name for anything to do with TV trivia, movies, music, etc.

After Hours - well, whatever comes to mind.

The Cigar Den - where manly men discuss manly topics and/or blow a lot of smoke.

True Confessions - heh heh heh

Wrestle-Mania - An alternative to the Soap forum where rules of civility and decorum might be relaxed, oh, just a tad.

Hello Kitty - For the girls, and girl talk. The forum's name almost guarantees privacy from the guys. I know the Hello Kitty thing is for kids, but that is not the intent here.

There are plenty of ideas out there.

1 After Hours

2 Nickelodean

3 The Corner Table

4 Happy Hour

5 The Cigar Den

6 Hello Kitty

7 True Confessions

8 Wrestle-Mania

9 The Decades: Sixties / Seventies / Eighties / Nineties

10 Paw's Round Table - for serious discussions about Grease Spot itself? Just an idea.

11 The Inkwell - for Linda Zinn & Company (might include me too)

Please vote as if there were only going to be one other forum, but it's up to Pawtucket how much might be practical or reasonable.

Regards...

Steve,

You're proving my point, man. No self-respecting guy could allow himself to spend any time in a forum named Hello Kitty. We'd rather be sprayed in the face with mace.

It may not be the girls' preference either, but it's just to make the point. The Forum name will carry considerable weight if it's well-chosen.

Then again, I don't know that Pawtucket could show his face anywhere he might be recognized if people knew da Grease Spot Cafe had a Hello Kitty Forum. Depends on whether he's in touch with his inner Oprah-approved sensitive male.

Maybe not.

So maybe it's back to the drawing board, or maybe not?

satori is not a counterfeit of satori001. I reserved satori as well as satori001, not to use both but because I was having trouble updating my profile on s001.

Since I use more than one computer, they happen to have different cookies set and I'm too shiftless and lazy to log out and back in again.

Let's see now. I should have come here prepared but I'm gonna wing it.

1. New Light Forum - for those of us who wish to try out new "present truths."

2. Denominational Forum - where Evan, Plotinus and other pastor types can try out "thumbnails" of their sermons at Grease Spot. Should be open to discussion but in a respectful setting.

3. Religion & Politics - an intellectual food fight.

4. Haiku Forum - Artistic musings, close encounters of the esthetic kind.

5. MST3K Forum - You know who you are.

Gotta go for now.

Not that I have any veto power at all, but if I did I would veto any forum that is gender exclusive.

The Cigar Den - where manly men discuss manly topics and/or blow a lot of smoke.

Hello Kitty - For the girls, and girl talk. The forum's name almost guarantees privacy from the guys. NO NO NO NO PLEASE GOD NO

Some women HATE Oprah! Give me a cigar!

I have to give you a lot of credit for originality Satori and I recognize that, unlike you I have nothing to contribute for the moment.