GreaseSpot Cafe

Call of Duty question from my 10 year old

excathedra

He has Call of Duty version 1.1 and he loves it and plays on many servers on that version

but he also purchased an expansion pack called United Offensive or something like that

He wants to join some clans and play United Offensive but when he goes to install it, it says he has to upgrade to Call of Duty Version 1.5 I believe it is. They ask you to download it

He doesn't want to lose or override version 1.1. So his idea was to uninstall Version 1.1 and then install the expansion pack, but of course you can't do that (we tried) because it looks for the Call of Duty software on your computer

His friend told him he downloaded v. 1.5 and was never able to get back to v. 1.1 after that. Could this be true ? Wouldn't the discs stay the same from the original Call of Duty no matter what ?

He asked me to ask here. He doesn't want to chance it.

Of course he asked for a new computer so he can play one version on one computer and one on the other !!!!!!! simple solution ? right ? HA !

does anyone know ?

thank you

Well, it would be like being on 2 different versions of Windoze, wouldn't it?

Does he have a valid reason for keeping the old version? are there things he can do with it that he can't in the new version?

Find out why he *absolutely must* keep the old version. It might just be an emotional attachment kind of thing.

yeah but if you upgrade to 1.5 from the internet, does it do anything to the CDs you bought at the store ?

some servers are dedicated to 1.1 clans / players and he wants to stay with them

he only wants to play the 1.5 expansion stuff when he wants to.

does that make sense ?

Kind of.

What you might try doing is setting up his own user name on your computer, and then installing 1.1 again, but don't take the default directory - give it a different directory name.

And then have him install the 1.5, and take the default directory.

I'm not sure if this will work or not, the worst that could happen would be he'd have to uninstall everything and then just install 1.1.

quote:
Or tell all those lazy-foot 1.1 clans to upgrade to 1.5, fercryinoutloud!

I agree.

Hi Excathedra. How are you?

I guess you have to be on the same version as the servers hosting the game.

Downloading the upgrade will not change what's burned on the CD.

He might just have to go with 1.5.

quote:
He might just have to go with 1.5.

but john, after he is done playing 1.5, can we uninstall everything and then re-install the CD's ? then he would be back to version 1.1, right ?

i'm okay, how are you ? i loved your post on bob moynihan thread

my kid asked me to get in touch with you about another computer and a wireless thingamajiggy (you sent me yours but the name escapes me at the moment, need coffee)

i'm making him save some money and i want to see his report card this marking period