GreaseSpot Cafe

dimebag darryl fans???

mick

Hey Mick, you're a fan?

Couldn't tell you, I'm not a "fan" as such although he was an interesting guitar player. Only saw him one once with Pantera several years ago. It was in San Francisco, CA. and he was ragging on Metallica onstage, which I liked. He opened with about a 2 minute tirade of f*k this f*kg f*k f*k the f*k f*k. They followed White Zombie, at about twice the volume. He hauled out a big bag of weed onstage and lit up. He encouraged the audience to "stay strong, you know what I mean", and encouraged the "veterans" in the audience to help the "newbies" there for the first time, just getting into the Pantera army. He was a lot sweatier and grosser than I expected but with that much heat going you're blood pressure's going to max out, for sure. He did play some nice guitar stuff at times, very precise.

None of which really says what he was all about. I don't know frankly. I don't think he made the best use of his life but a lot of us don't at times or at all. I read a lot of his interviews, checked out his technical stuff, listened to the music via my son at first and then on my own. He was a troubled person IMO, and he had reasons.

What wasn't unusual about him was the fact that his perception of policitcal and social structures can be extremely oppressive. That greed runs the world for a lot of people, people that have an effect on the rest of us and that we stand to get hurt by the very people that are in a position to help. I understood his anger. In a way he expressed it better than someone who'd go out and shoot and kill someone they disagree with. The very way he died.

So I dunno. What do you think?

Hi Mark, My son is lead singer in a band and got to be good friends with Dimebag. Off stage he was a very nice and interesting guy. Son agreed that he was a great guitarist. They first met when he was with Pantera and remained in contact with each other. Needless to say my son was heartbroken when he was murdered. I thought the guy was weird at first, but soon found out that you can't judge a book til you read it.

Thanks for this thread Mark, Dimebag was an incredible person I just wish you could have known him.

His untimely death got a lot of press around here (he was from Arlington, just a couple of miles from where I live)... there was a lot of talk about what a really nice and caring person he was, always helping people... not at all what someone on the fringe of the scene would expect I think...

... but he must've been a pretty talented guitarist to have received so many accolades from the noted greats of today...