GreaseSpot Cafe

New Spam Game in Town

krys

I was getting rid of spam, and some was so annoying or filthy - I didn't want to ever see it again...so I opened its properties and lo and behold...it came from me....somebody else's name with my totally complete email address.

I called my ISP - and found out some ways to block it without blocking your own email address so you can send something to yourself.

I've posted the info in the Computers Forums.

I spam that I have been getting has only gotten worse and worse.

About 2 weeks ago, I loaded 'SpamPal'.

It took some time to load and customize, I think that only a geek should attempt it. However I have found that it works well. There are various groups that try to keep up-to-date on spam and they make 'filters'. With SpamPal you can select which of these filters you want to try.

Good luck

If you know how to use internet domain name service registry searches, you can find who the administrative contacts are and their email address. I did this one week, and set up a rule in Outlook that automatically forwarded a copy of any email which had certain words in the text back to the administrative contacts. The emails stopped for a while till my name got on another list they acquired again. I picked the rule about text in the email because the email addresses themselves are always changing. If you respond to them to "remove" they do remove you, but in the 2 business days it takes them to do the actual remove, the "sell" it to another domain name they also own, and you get the emails again. Same offer, different domain. It is a unending circle.

This takes a lot of time, but it was fun. If the email has a webpage you browse to that you have to click on a "remove" button, you can edit the html of that web page and save it to your hard drive. There are numerous spots in the html where your email address and name is embedded. I changed them all to ficticous charactors like mickymouse@disney.com, etc. I then submitted it many time with various names. I don't know if it did any good, but just knowing I was messing with them gave me a good feeling.

Y3K -- Start Early