GreaseSpot Cafe

Need advice about looking for a job

vickles

I have a couple of weeks off and decided that since I do I will look for a better paying job.

I plan on going to washington state in july and I will absolutely have to go...all arrangements are already done.

So my question is when I am interviewing and the business is hiring me do I let them know or do I work for them a month or two and then let them know?

There is one job I'm really trying for and will probably get the job but I'm concerned about letting them know about my traveling in july.

Vickles

when they offer you a position tell them you will need the time off for a previous appt.

If your talking about your current employer well when I was looking while working and they called for reference I truly believe that is when they got nasty and things fell most worse !!

maybe that is why they ask if they can or should call you current employer for good reason if they think your looking they might start looking/ I would not tell you current employer your looking...

but many folks have previous commintments when taking a new job, and they should know not to shedule you for those weeks in as much advance notice as possible besides it doesnt give them a chance to say no if they are offering you a new job accept it and then tell them you wont be available for those weeks .

sounds good, mj, thanks...and when I filled out the application I marked no for contacting my present employer...your right I felt I didn't want these people to get nast to me.

You are leaving McDonald's? I thought they worked well with your hours and all? You seemed to like the job, what do you think about asking for a raise?

Then, if you get another offer you tell McDonalds and they may counter offer to keep you. They already like you so they will let you off.

Dot, although I am not embarrassed and am proud to be working at mcdonalds it is very company stuff...they set the pay for everyone and they do not give raises unless it is the right appointed time and they give what they give everyone even though your good workers.

I guess I'm tired of restraunt food stuff...I want to make really good money not just survive. You know?

Not saying I'm quitting but I think its very healthy to keep your eyes out for other things. Since I have the time off I am going to look at my horizens.

Vickles,

Tell prospective employers you need the time off in July. They will respect you more for being honest. If they really want to hire you, your request for time off is not going to be held against you.

I have interviewed many people over the years and it is not unusual for candidates to tell me they need time off, that reservations are made, plane tickets are bought. If I have made up my mind to hire someone, their need for time off has never been a consideration in my choice to hire them - or not.

Honestly, a person politely informing me that they need time off tells me that they have a sense of their own worth and confidence in their ability to do the job. I recently hired a young man who informed me during the interview that he would work every day without a day off until October if necessary, but that in October he needed three weeks off because he was marrying the "girl of his dreams". I couldn't help but smile.

Vickles -- I agree with Mary Cate. Let them know that a previously arranged "thing" is happening, and you wish for them to be aware of it.

Now -- TRUE STORY! icon_eek.gif I hit Duluth Mn. in 1978, found a job in a retail store, and one month later (I was married at the time), my wife and I decided to go WOW. I had been at this store for a whole 1 1/2 months, and here I was asking for two weeks off for the ROA, and WOW training. icon_rolleyes.gif:rolleyes:-->

Not only was I allowed to go, but several months later in 1979, when the Advanced Class happened, I asked for 3 weeks off in order to go to it. Request was granted, and tho I did not REALLY know that I was going to do all this ahead of time, the employer was kind enough to let me go ahead anyway.

Maybe those were the "old days" as far as business ownership (I still shop at the store I worked at, and end up bs'ing about things more than shopping), but I am of the opinion that there are still folks like the ones I used to work for, who are in charge of "human resources" in major corporations -- and your honesty would be a "breath of fresh air" for them.

Can't hurt to let them know you have plans. And as you have pointed out to me in the past -- "it is like we live in two different states" -- but what happened to me was up here, and you are down in southern Minnesota where these values (seem) to still run true.

Good luck Vickles

Are you trying for a company job? Or a firm?

Or anything that kinda jumps out at you?

With all of your manager experience you may want to check out office managers.

My friend went into the law firm where I worked, and got in as an office manager. They trained her about the "law" part. But she was making $60,000.00 a year back in 1994.

Another young friend was hired as a manager of one of those office supply places (Not office deopt - the other one) She is making decent money and has a chance to advance. I applied but have not heard anything.

Anyone will be fortunate to get someone like you. You have integrity, you work hard and you are a team player.

I also think that after you are offered the job you may want to bring up the need to have that month off so they know going "in."

Good luck. You are a prize. I pray you find a job where you are valued and make valuable money.

(Ummmm office Max)