GreaseSpot Cafe

Under the Banner of Heaven

Written by the same guy who wrote "Into Thin Air."

This book is about two fundamentalist Mormon brothers who receive "revelation" to murder their sister-in-law and her 15 month old child.

Chilling but fascinating.

Though much of the Mormon doctrine is different from ours in TWI, there are eerie similarities to TWI in how people think and behave.

An it shows how "revelation" can lead you to some bad bad places.

Outandabout,

And though many scream it to the mountain tops, mainstream religion is little different. Not so long ago, Christians were burning "heretics" at the stake. Modern day Muslims are comitting suicide bombings.

Your post is about "revelation" and I concur but just want to expand it... ANYTIME you have folks doing things based on "faith" is potentially bad news. In extreme cases, people get killed. In mild cases, people get marked and avoided, shunned by family, or ostracised by the community.

sudo

The author makes a distinction between fundamental Mormonism and the main stream Mormonism.

The fundamentalists believe in going back to the original ideas of Joseph Smith which include polygamy, which by the way was another parallel I noticed that it had with TWI. The same rationals that were used to support polygamy were those that were used in TWI to support bedding numerous women.

Anyway, the author focuses on these fundamentalists that tend to be more out there i.e with their revealtions etc.