GreaseSpot Cafe

best of craigslist

satori001

Sort of a universal, on-line everything bulletin board. I forsee that some of you may never be the same, once you look around. It is a virtual cyber-Alice's Restaurant. You won't be able to handle it, some of you and I pity you. Heh heh.

Best of craigslist is an assortment of thoughts that are scored highly among the millions of craigslist posts by millions of anonymous (at least to me) craigslist posters. Don't blame me for the really bad stuff. You have to use your judgment, if you have any, and never read something there that may give you bad dreams, or bad thoughts, or bad desires, or just make you be bad. I would never do that. Neither should you.

You're on your own.

Here is one example:

FREE PUPPY

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Reply to: anon-34182919@craigslist.org

Date: Sat Jun 19 09:33:22 2004

My brother has a very cute male dachshund "mix" puppy named MAX that he needs to give to a good home.

he's excellent with kids, loyal, playful, HOUSEBROKEN, and friendly.

So is the dog.

the reason he needs to give it away is his wife.

she claims it keeps "staring" at her and gives her the "heebie jeebies".

anyway, there's a pic of the puppy below.

Please respond ASAP.

By popular demand, one more:

So I'm driving my rented metallic blue Toyota Corrolla to work this morning, when I feel the need to stop at the local Dunkin Donuts for an iced coffee. Driving along, I'm about 3 or 4 sips into the beverage, enjoying the morning, when something happened that will forever change my life. The cover suddenly jumped off the cup as the cup proceeded to flip upside down pouring the contents out, seemingly all over my lap and the console. However, after the initial shock I was confused to find no liquid on any of my clothing. After a quick further review, there was also no liquid to be found on the car seats or floor. You see, the entire iced coffee, every drop of it flowed directly into the two plastic sealed cupholders within the console. Of course the aforementioned cupholders were just large enough to house a medium iced coffee, but too small to allow me to scoop the contents out with the only tool available - the now empty Dunkin Donuts cup. I was then forced to drive quite defensively, turning was particularly challenging, as to not give gravity an excuse to overflow icey drink onto the seats or myself. That was 7 hours ago. The coffee is still there, I just don't have the heart to remove it. You see, I think all this happened for a reason, I think I may be Jesus. That coupled with the fact that I saw a horse walking on Wollaston beach today. Email me for pics (of the coffee, not the horse).

Okay, okay. You people are insatiable.

Haiku Rant: Your exploding car, My melted tail-light

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Reply to: anon-34352348@craigslist.org

Date: Mon Jun 21 13:27:20 2004

Parked out in the shade

Away from the other cars

My Passat wagon

Deaf puppy in back

Napping away peacefully

As I went shopping

Cries from Old Navy

"Smoke, smoke!" I didn't hear them

But my friend sure did

As she ran outside

You stopped your car behind mine

Everyone jumped out

6 freakin' people

Like clowns in a Volkswagen

Packed in your Mustang

Perpendicular

5 feet off my back bumper

Smoking like crazy

Your exploding car

Engulfed in flame, how it burns!

Goodbye, fuzzy dice

The puppy looks out

She cannot hear the sirens

She just sees the flames

A witness panics

As my friend runs like crazy

To get the dog out

She reaches inside

The window, cracked just enough

The puppy is safe

Your car burns like hell

Explosive shrapnel, fire hose

Firemen chop away

Their axes help not

Your car burns to frame and ash

There is nothing left

My melted tail-light

Some dings and nicks from shrapnel

It could have been worse

But then, you question

"How do we know that's from us?"

You get defensive

The car's 6 months old

No, I didn't have that ding

Or the window crack

And last time I checked

Passat tail-lights don't just melt

Of their own accord

Talk to Triple A

Oh, you don't have insurance?

Of course not! That's great

Your flame-throwing car

Could have burned up the puppy

You don't seem to care

Note to self, genius:

Pull to the side of the road

When your car's on fire

Crowded parking lots

Are no place to bring a car

To let it burn up

I'm very grateful

For "Uninsured Motorist"

I guess I'll need it

Well, on the plus side

I got some Old Navy deals

Love those cargo shorts

Is this what you've been reading lately for entertainment? Well, I guess it has been more than a little slow around here.

I thought "to the b*tch in line at Farenheit 9/11 last night . . . " was sort of amusing. For some reason it brought a flashback of standing in line for coffee at the ROA too early in the morning one year. Some leadership wannabe organized (or rather assigned) a few of us in front and behind him in line to be in a "believers' meeting" with him . I was smoking a cigarette and didn't even think to put it out, while he launched into a too-long prayer, then started calling on people for tongues and the rest of it. Afterward he blasted, and I mean blasted, me for smoking (as if there had ever been a prohibition against smoking up to that point). I wish I had thought to respond the way the Farenheit guy did.

I almost saw Farenheit, but I don't do long lines anymore, so we saw Before Sunset instead. Probably the better choice, anyway. The lines for Farenheit are gone now, but now that I've heard so much about the movie, I think I've lost interest.

If you enjoy the accidental humor that is born of frustration and outrage, and can laugh at the efforts of people who try a little too hard to turn it into something profound, think about picking up one of those books on tape of Garrison Keillor's Love Me -- about a best-selling author turned advice columnist who, after being hired by the New Yorker, ends up with writer's block. His efforts exceed those of the haiku you posted.