GreaseSpot Cafe

Way Corps vs. Marine Cops

Georgio Jessio

VPW used to say that he modeled the Way Corps after The Marine Corps. He wanted us to be "spiritual marines".

A few questions:

Did he accomplish that?

Was that a god idea, in theory?

Is there a web site for inactive Marines who complain about what is what like to be put down all the time, brainwashed and what a$$&ole superiors they had to deal with?

Is the military a cult? Is it harmful to the enlisted like TWI was to us?

My instant thought is that "we are not in a spiritual war (Onward Christian Soldiers), we are Atheletes of the Spirit."

If that's true then why were we training like soldiers?

I just noticed this thread,Georgio,and I think it's a good topic...In theory,I don't think there's anything wrong with discipline and training a group of individuals to be united toward's a greater common goal....I'm reminded of the line that Gene Hackman said to Denzel Washington(I forgot the name of the movie)when they were on a submarine:"We follow orders,Mister...Not intuition,not gut feelings,not little angels or devils on our shoulder..."

I really don't see too much of a difference in the methods used to train athletes and soldiers...Of course the ultimate goals,or purposes are not the same...Whereas a soldier is trained to defend,or to divide and conquer, an athlete will be trained to compete for a prize,..and in a team sport,an athlete should compete and train for the ultimate prize of winning...

Though I was never in the military,I had often thought the first few months in the way corpse were modeled after basic training in the military,though obviously not as harsh...No outside music or media,somewhat of a breakdown of where you came from and your individuality,and a total immersion into the new purpose in life you had volunteered for...

I don't know,maybe there is something "cultish" about the Marines...Though I admit,I loved the movie Full Metal Jacket,at least up to the part where that guy kills his drill sergeant...

It seemed difficult to maintain one's own personality while in corpse training,as there were a lot more edicts and orders to follow,or carry out...Once graduated,and no longer subject to the threat of being kicked out,it seemed a little easier to maintain one's individuality...

Simon, when you came on I thought what will this babbler say? We have a saying that often comes up in military circles. There is a group of people that become brainwashed, their heads shaved and indoctrinated with a common corps of beliefs. We call them not a cult but the Marine Corps. I have found that the MC is the most diciplined group of militia I have ever seen. Although, most grumble to some degree or another they always do what is told of them. It is the old chain of command thing that unites and binds them. The Marines take a hill and give it to the Army. When they are overun the Marines come back and take it with force.

I now after 20+ years with the Reserves understand the importance of someone doing what they are supposed too do when told.

After my graduation of the Way Corps going through basic training was quite simple. I was often amused how people were motivated by words. I found that intriguing.

• 1 month later...