GreaseSpot Cafe

Happy Birthday to one and all

Abigail

Tonight begins Rosh Hoshannah, the birthdate of all humanity, the day Adam was formed.

The next ten days are a time to make amends and reflect on how we can make our piece of the world a little bit better for everyone over the next year.

Each and every year there descends and shines a new and renewed light, which has never yet entered the world

— Rabbi Schneur Zalman of Liadi

Y'hee ratzon mee-l'fanekha, Adonai Elohaynu v'elohey avoteynu

May it be Your will, Lord our God and God of our ancestors

sh'tichadeish aleinu shanah tovah um'tuqah.

that you renew for us a good and sweet year.

There are many ways and variations. What we do is EAT and pray. icon_smile.gif:)-->

We eat sweet bread (raisin bread) in the hopes of a sweet new year and dip apples in honey for the same reason.

Carrots symbolize an abudnance in the physical category - to receive it and be able to give it as well

eggs represent life and the cycle of life which we wish to see continue over the next year

There is so much food!

It is also a time for introspection

Rosh Hoshannah is followed by the days of awe (10 days) in which we focus on making ammends to those we have wronged and looking within ourselves to see where we want to grow and how we might procede (in baby steps).

Sometime between Rosh Hoshannah and Yom Kippur we take bread to the ducks and feed them, as we are feeding them we are also casting away all the sins we commited in the past year so we can start the new year clean and fresh. (it is a yearly reminder of the gift we have every day, which we also get to start fresh and new).

Then the evening which begins Yom Kippur we eat a huge meal before a day of fasting and prayers for the new year.

It ends when we break our fast and have a celebration of joy for the upcoming year and the fresh start we once again have. It is also customary to read the story of Jonah on this day.

There is tons of information and ways of observing. As a wise man once said, "everyone must set their own table." This means, you celebrate it in a way that has meaning for YOU! icon_smile.gif:)-->

Thanks, Abigail! I think I'll join in too, albeit a bit late. So we fast on Saturday, the 25th?

I have a few Jewish friends who always recognize the Christian holidays by sending me cards, etc. I have never done so for them (too much Waybrain). I think I will start.

Belle,

You can do a google search on Yom Kippur or Rosh Hoshannah to find the appropriate greetings.

The Jewish calendar goes from sunset to sunset so you would begin your fast at sunset on Friday night and end it on Saturday night. Technically it ends when three stars are seen in the sky, but if it's cloudy you could be hungry for a long time!!!! LOL

It is also recommended if you have health issues that you either skip the fast or consult a doctor first.